HybridZ

How is your dash repair holding up??

chrism

It’s been awhile since someone posted a dash repair idea.

I’ve seen several home remedies and was wondering how they’ve been holding up.

Thought I would wait a while before doing my dash and see who had the best results. Some of the ideas look good but at the end of the post, someone else chimes in with a question about how well it will hold up or that they think it will look worse down the road. So, lets have it guys. Anyone having good results?

Mine has had a half-cap on it for more than 5 years now (installed by the PO) and unless you look closely, it's easy to miss the seam and think the dash is stock. Not really a repair, but easy to do and reasonably priced. And apparently durable too.

I did my repair as per this post

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919

It went exactly as advertised but I made a couple of mistakes.

Make sure you remove enough of the black dash material next to the crack. Mine was warped upward. I didn't cut it far enough back and when I started to feather out the filler I broke through immediately.

Make sure you have a thick enough layer of bumper repair over the crack. I sanded it too thin and when I pulled the car out in the sun it cracked again. I would try and leave at least 1/32" thickness over the crack and feather it out 2" or more on either side.

The SEM texture spray and trim black paint paint work great.

One of my cracks came back and it's because i sanded too much of the bumper repair off. AGAIN!!! The other crack that I did with a thicker coat is holding up great.

I live in Florida so come August I'll have a better idea of longevity.

Derek