HybridZ

Subaru WRX Sti R180

TABrinn

I've been looking for an R180 out of a Subaru WRX Sti to put into my '71 240Z. They are fairly reasonably priced and come with 3.9 gears and are LSD. I've searched here as well as the subi forums and the 510 forums but I can't seem to find a definitive answer if these can be modified to fit in the early 240Z's. Has anyone here sucessfully done the swap??? What all is involved to make this work? Details please!

I've been looking for an R180 out of a Subaru WRX Sti to put into my '71 240Z. They are fairly reasonably priced and come with 3.9 gears and are LSD. I've searched here as well as the subi forums and the 510 forums but I can't seem to find a definitive answer if these can be modified to fit in the early 240Z's. Has anyone here sucessfully done the swap??? What all is involved to make this work? Details please!

This is what I did: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117916

Hope this helps you out.

And Jon is right when he says it wasn't easy. But my post pretty much covers it all. If you have any questions let me know.

Mike.

This is going to sound like a completely uneducated question, because it is, and I can already assume the answer, but is it feasible to swap the carrier form the subi diff into the datsun one?

What's keeping it from swapping right over and not having to deal with all of the fabrication?

This is going to sound like a completely uneducated question, because it is, and I can already assume the answer, but is it feasible to swap the carrier form the subi diff into the datsun one?

What's keeping it from swapping right over and not having to deal with all of the fabrication?

It's in the thread he linked to. The output splines on the carrier are wrong, so you end up having to use the Subaru CVs.

If someone wants to send me a Subaru STi 27 spline R180 diff and the CV shafts I'll draw up and have made side shafts that allow this diff to be bolted to the stock 240Z halfshafts. It may take a few months but you'll get your diff and CV shafts back along with a set of the new side axles.

I would prefer the mechanical LSDs from the 2004 through 2006 models.

If someone wants to send me a Subaru STi 27 spline R180 diff and the CV shafts I'll draw up and have made side shafts that allow this diff to be bolted to the stock 240Z halfshafts. It may take a few months but you'll get your diff and CV shafts back along with a set of the new side axles.

How many months is a few months? I have a friend that has an STi diff and shafts...but they are spares for his rally car and may need them at any time.

Off the top of your head, how much would it run to have a set of these side shafts made? Would it be a new piece that you could fab from your drawings or would it be spliced together from the old side shafts and new cv's?

Off the top of your head, how much would it run to have a set of these side shafts made?

I'm not going to guess on the price and if I made them they would be new parts. My market is primarily road racers and any offset or imbalance from weld-together parts would be an issue at race speed.

I haven't done business with this company, but they might be able to help with the custom axleshafts. http://www.driveshaftshop.com/index.php

That's where I purchased my shorter STi axles. That's about as custom as they will go, concerning this topic. They don't make anything along the lines of what John is talking about, with the custom snap in Pieces.

Speaking of which, Don't you already make custom snap in pieces for the later "K" r180's John?