HybridZ

s13 coilovers

Guest drifting737

I am currently stuffing around with s13 control arms, hubs, coilovers, 350z rotors with z32 calipers.

Everything is going well so far.

Except for a few things...

1. The S13 control arm is slightly too big for the s130's cross member. (so i will have to cut the bush down about 10mm

2. The s130 sway bar will not line up with the control arms. (Note R31 Skyline sway bar will not fit. But a s13 sway bar is in the post atm. Fingers Crossed)

3. The S130 Custer rod will not line up with the s13 control rod. (But i just got myself a adjustable R31 skyline custer rod from ebay that works)

Here is a link on how to do this convert on a R31 Skyline. (Its very close to the s130's suspension setup)

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=S13_Suspension_Conversion

If you like i will post up some photos of how my convertion is going later today

Im almost done putting S13 coilovers on my 1980 280ZX. the rears go in almost no problem except for turning down the OD of the top mounting hat and drilling the 280ZX 3 mounting bolts holes into it. rears are done.

fronts are a bit trickier. Im using S13 front hubs, Z32 rotors and calipers, an 89 to 93 maxima front ball joint and the stock 280ZX TC rods, control arms and hopefully the outer tie rods on the steering rack if I can get enough adjustment out of them to use with the S13 spindles.

I made a bolt on adapter to bolt the angled maxima ball joint to the 280ZX control arm and still bolt the 280ZX TC rods to the control arm in their stock locations as well.

I really need to get some pics up as Ive been working on this little project off and for 2 years now.

Guest drifting737

cool thanks for the help i just need to no cause Im looking to get some s13 coliovers cause ive been looking and see if there were any coilovers to s130s but i couldnt find any cool so i just have to try and stuff them in right?

I'm using s13 coilovers with s13 knuckles bolted to the 280zx control arm so that everything else will line up. So for I still have it on jackstands, i'm waiting for my rear wheel bearings so I can drop it on the ground. Heres some pics of some used coilovers for mock up.

Also, the rear are bolt in as well, I just used my stock upper mount so I wouldn't have to drill any holes.

2281236_166_full.jpg

22812360187_large.jpg

22812360213_large.jpg

the only thing I was concerned about was the fact that the 280ZX ball joint now sits at that angle all the time and that it might limit full suspension travel. the maxima/stanza ball joint is angled like the S13 ball joint, but bolts on with 3 big bolts, so I was able to make an adapter for it.

Maybe I went over kill with it, but it gained me an inch of track width on each side up front while retaining the stick S13 suspension geometry.

On the rears Im gaining track width as well because Im using infiniti M30 control arms, which are set up for a posititive FWD off set wheel, and they are also set up with the bigger diameter adjustable rear control arm off center bolts. Other than the bolts, the infiniti control arm,s are a bolt in. exact same dimensions as the S130 control arm, but they have bigger brakes and a diff E-brake set-up. Im pretty sure I can put Z32 rears on my car now as well. they will match the Z32 front brakes I have!

hey mack, does the maxima ball joint holes line up with the zx control arm? I too am a little worried about the angle they sit at now. In the pictures they are at full droop though, maybe the angle isn't so bad once its compressed.

no, they dont line up, thats why I had to make an adapter. Ill have to get a pic of it, but I made an adapter out of 1" thick aluminum. I drilled 3 bolt holes for the original 280ZX ball joint bolt holes, and 3 bolt holes for the maxima/stanza ball joint. I tapped all 6 holes. 280ZX TC rod and other bolts come up from the bottom and the maxima/stanza ball joint gets bolted to it from the top down, if that makes any sense.

the only thing I was concerned about was the fact that the 280ZX ball joint now sits at that angle all the time and that it might limit full suspension travel. the maxima/stanza ball joint is angled like the S13 ball joint, but bolts on with 3 big bolts, so I was able to make an adapter for it.

Maybe I went over kill with it, but it gained me an inch of track width on each side up front while retaining the stick S13 suspension geometry.

On the rears Im gaining track width as well because Im using infiniti M30 control arms, which are set up for a posititive FWD off set wheel, and they are also set up with the bigger diameter adjustable rear control arm off center bolts. Other than the bolts, the infiniti control arm,s are a bolt in. exact same dimensions as the S130 control arm, but they have bigger brakes and a diff E-brake set-up. Im pretty sure I can put Z32 rears on my car now as well. they will match the Z32 front brakes I have!

The S13 suspension geometry is an improvement over the S30's so thats good, only thing is you may not be able to get the amount of caster a S13 usually has, up to 8 degrees for a road course car. It will still be good with less than that for a road car though.

I haven't read all the posts thoroughly but it sounds like you have done an excellent job, perhaps this thread could be a sticky.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm unfamiliar with s130 suspension, but if it's anything similar to the z31's then a setup similar to the one outlined in the links below might work.

http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14103

http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10135

The adapters or 'weld on collars' can be had from 'serial nine.' I'd link but the site has some NSFW content on it and well... I'm at work. sooo, y'know.

This might be the solution for those who wish to go LOW.

• 1 year later...