HybridZ

Mercedes Benz M104 engine for the 240Z

MAG58

Excellent stuff. I emailed Colt, Elgin, and Delta. We'll see what they say!

I'm pretty excited to try and mock this beast up over turkey day.

Bob what ever happened to this? Any surprises?

Do you have the dimensions on the Getrag as well?

[sorry buddy I know you're not done with school yet :burnout:]

Well being not dead is more important than figuring out how much power I can throw at a tranny before it pops. So do that first (I feel you though, I've had all sorts of respiratory infections for the last week)

And I guess I'll start taking pictures again. Sigh. You guys are making me be productive.

Well being not dead is more important than figuring out how much power I can throw at a tranny before it pops. So do that first (I feel you though, I've had all sorts of respiratory infections for the last week)

And I guess I'll start taking pictures again. Sigh. You guys are making me be productive.

rgr. The V6 trans (720.620?, can't remember right now) is according to sources good to around 450whp, but beyond that is kind of a crap shoot, just since it's never really been tried.

Oh, and as if coughing up lungs wasn't enough, I'm also trying to avoid hydroplaning into a semi, what with the inch and a half of rain in two days...

They can't take ♥♥♥♥ lol. Get a 5speed Getrag(its a dog leg style tranny :D) out of a 190e 16v or the 5 speed from the 190e 2.6. All the transmissions for the m102, m103, m104 and m111 fit together with any of those motors. The Getrag is good for 500 ft lbs of torque till it starts to break up, the 2.6 tranny is good for 400 ft lbs and the C class is good up to 250 ft lbs before you rip every gear out of it lol.

I just noticed you live in Indiana. Whereabouts in Indiana because I'm here in Jeff.

EDIT: If your looking for automatic stuff you can mix and match transmissions to get basically a race transmission.

You'll need the 722.6 out of the 97 E320 since it is the only version of the 722.6 that fits the m104. Then you need to get your hands on a 722.6 from an SL600 or an SLR lol. You ultize the valve body, gears and bell housing from the 97 and, in a nut shell, you use the case, clutch retainers, clutch packs, and shift solenoids from the SL600 transmission. Consquently I have both ;).

Another option if you don't want to mess with electronic transmissions is to get the 722.3 four speed auto out of a 300E or pre-95 E320. There are several people who make racing grade parts for those transmissions as well.

I'd love to find a 16v getrag (same as the one used in the E30 M3) unfortunately it's only 1:1 top gear, so It would be necessary to source a taller rear gear than something like a 3.54

Pretty sure that autos, or maybe maximas or something with an R200 came with a 3.2x rear gearset.. unless your talking about using a german rear diff too

• 4 weeks later...

Colt says he could do it, and he'd do it personally, it'd be 4-500 for the pair whatever grind we wanted. That includes cam analysis to see what can go on it, along with the grind, hardening and parkerizing.

And price on a 404?

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've pulled apart a 2.8, 3.0, and 3.2 M104 I've got a few questions to ask about these heads...

The biggest one is, which cylinder head design flows best? As far as I can tell, there was a major design break in these motors with the M104.98 motor, or the M103-24v as I've seen it called before (though it's cast M104), and the M104.94/.99 series of heads. The exhaust is the same on both head designs, the manifolds have the same flange etc., but that's about where the similarity ends.

Cue pics...

This is the late model head, that came out of a late W124 chassis car. The water port is on the front of the head and there is a slider on the intake side of the chain drive, not a roller.

DSCN0108.jpg

Pay no attention to the datsun head below it, that was for something else.

Now this is the M104.980 head that I got when I pulled the motor out of a 1990 300CE-24. If you notice, the way the intake manifold mounts is much different as is the overall intake port design.

DSCN4121.jpg

Another interesting thing to note is that the valves are less visable on this engine as the angle cut on the intake mounting flange is actually opposite the angle cut on the later M104 head. That is to say, that this head was designed so that when the engine is mounted in the car at its 15 degree lean over, the intake mating surface is exactly vertical while the later model head has a pronounced angle to it, making the efi intake mount at a much more radical upward angle (if that makes sense.)

Also, on this early model head, it has a tensioner sprocket located right below the intake cam, and the water outlet is directly on the side of the block, in the same location as the M103 water outlet (which I'm pretty sure is why it's there).

DSCN4123.jpg

Vs...again, don't pay attention to the datsun block it's sitting on...

DSCN0111.jpg

I guess the best question here is, does anyone know of someone in the midwest that will flowbench these two without charging an arm, a leg, and a firstborn?

• 1 month later...

Hey are you still working on it...I stumbled onto your thread through Google "Images" I was looking at putting a BMW or Mercedes Head on my L series. I descovered a 3.6L M104 while looking for a 3.2L...What bad luck LOL. I have played with the oil pan, a tape measure and an angle dial. And I don't know if it'll fit without modifying the crossmember and rack n pinion. The oil pump prevents me from cutting the pan and making it a rear sump. I am also looking for a tranny that will fit...I found a V6 6 speed for $600 will it work? and do you know if the bell housing detaches from the automatic tranny???

I am also looking for a tranny that will fit...

There is some discussion above about tranny options, but AFAIK it seems as the 'bolt on' options aren't going to hold up to the power. I believe the plan is to have some custom tranny adapter plates made.

I'd love to do a M104.98 / T56 if I get around to doing this next summer :D

Edited by flatblack280

The Current game plan is to adapt a G265 Trans to the M104. I also only have two months to find one since my CNC guy is moving away...

Finals don't have anything on that kind of stress...