HybridZ

71 Z with 500 Caddy

Runnin L8

I mostly post on the Cadillac boards, but recently picked up this Z from Oklahoma. I didn't do any of the work you see here, other than re-stab the dist. and some minor oil pump changes.

The new toy!!!

P1050691.jpg

P1050683.jpg

P1050668.jpg

P1050669.jpg

P1050667.jpg

P1050688.jpg

P1050670.jpg

P1050671.jpg

P1050673.jpg

P1050674.jpg

P1050677.jpg

P1050680.jpg

P1050684.jpg

P1050687.jpg

It's a 1971 240Z with unknown origin 5200 Cad Motor. The guy I bought it from thinks it to be a 1970- .030 over 500, but when he bought the car the long block was already assembeld. The first owner installed the motor (long block)/ trans, ehaust, went through the suspension (all new bushings, springs, struts), then sold the car.

The guy I bought it from got it to this point. He has driven it, but not much due to bad master cylinder. Then he was deployed (submariner) and it sat for 5yrs. He's going to school now and it was going to sit for another 4yrs so he decided to sell it instead. He made quite a bit of progress on the car and kept almost all his reciepts. Kinda Cool cause it gives me a good idea of what parts are in it.

I couldn't figure out how to post an Excel file, so here is the reciept list. I rounded and included shipping costs in the prices.

Edel Perform RPM 500

Fuel filter 78

Fuel pump relay 33

fuel pump (Mallory Elec) 241

towing 90

driveshaft 205

title 159

headlights / wiper/misc 101.3

starter 59

Alternator 49

Fuel Reg 75

vlv cover blt 29

rad cap 40

fan relay 60

over flow can 15

misc fuel fitting 67

Lockar trans kick down 58

10 galcell 175

Edel performer with kit 270

trans filter 7

Thrt brkt 20

Thrt cable 29

trans cooler kit 20

trans cooler 160

oil adapter 32

rad hose / exhaust gask 33

misc clamp / elec 26

exh coll gask 22

Oil / misc clamp 16

starter sol 32

batery / fus 47

starter sol / oil filter 38

ball joint 25

shoe 411 168

slotted rotors/ race pads 241

240 conversion manual 39

blts 8

Painless harness 328

lock ties 15

exhaust wrap 42

Autometer Volt 38

boot pro race 23

fuel line 100

exhaust wrap 43

starter shield 24

be cool rad kit 734

msd dist 330

8.5 msd wires 80

msd 6A 200

autometer oil 42

autometer temp 69

Oil kit 46

valve cover bolt kit 28

temp send 30

misc brckt 50

cad guide 10

mt10/lifters/spring/retain/misc 503

American Rac. Wheel 700

$6,702

I'm really excited about the car. I always wanted to do this swap, but this puts me way ahead.

I'll be rear mounting a pair of T-60's latter this year on a differnt low comp Caddy motor. It'll be on E-85. I'm also planning to swap over to a Dana 60.

In the mean time, I'm just gonna keep smoking the tires:rockon:

th_P1050703.jpg

Dudeboy - I do like the hood scoop. What do they come off of?

It's actually a factory Nissan part. It was a quick fix when excessive under hood temperatures caused vapor lock.

Dan - that's just how I like it. : )

Keep an eye on the bushing. Hot headers melt rubber!

"Keep an eye on the bushing. Hot headers melt rubber!"

Will do. Do they make a replacement that is less prone to melting?

I would cover it with header wrap, or maybe just aluminum foil. Most of the heat will be radiant so some sort of reflective foil should do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll have to send the link to this post to Andy Flagg. He's been running a Caddy forever in an S30.

What intake is that? Andy used an adapter for a ford 460 because at the time he couldn't find a cheap aluminum 502 intake.

Running the car for the first time way back when Brotherhood Raceway was open in San Pedro (91?) he went out and made a first pass at 11.72 or something. Track officials started giving him guff for no helmet, no cage, no nothing...

"HEY MAN THIS WAS MY FIRST PASS EVER HOW DO I KNOW WHAT IT WOULD DO???"

I put a Toranado 455 Drivetrain in the back of a VW Beetle, only because i'd seen it done in a magazine and thought "hey that looks cool!" went over well back home (Michigan)...

I'll have to send the link to this post to Andy Flagg. He's been running a Caddy forever in an S30.

What intake is that? Andy used an adapter for a ford 460 because at the time he couldn't find a cheap aluminum 502 intake.

Running the car for the first time way back when Brotherhood Raceway was open in San Pedro (91?) he went out and made a first pass at 11.72 or something. Track officials started giving him guff for no helmet, no cage, no nothing...

"HEY MAN THIS WAS MY FIRST PASS EVER HOW DO I KNOW WHAT IT WOULD DO???"

I put a Toranado 455 Drivetrain in the back of a VW Beetle, only because i'd seen it done in a magazine and thought "hey that looks cool!" went over well back home (Michigan)...

Hey Tony, Would you have any pics of the VW swap? I can only imagine how cool that was.

Thanks, Jason