• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

P99? :huh:

C'mon Tony, you know?... da P99 dawg.... B)

P90 being mechanical, manually adjust valve lash.

P90A being hydraulically adjusted valve lash.

P99 being gas powered cycling of combustion events...

1287735191.jpg

...or if you're hungry and on the run?... :unsure:

3994532625_cd4f787974.jpg

:lmao:

Lol, I was waiting to see what you had to say to that Tony... so these early morning rapid succession postings... are they a just got up, or just going to bed thing...? I can't help but notice that around this time when I push the new content button it jumps from near nothing to 10 plus!

Oh, and Paul...

bond1_003.jpg

It's a Walther, not a glock, dawg!

Edited by LanceVance

Yes P99

I got one off of a very late production date 1983 280zx turbo manual transmission car that had thrown a rod and replaced it when I worked as a tech at lustine nissan.

It could have even been a canadian market car since I seem to remember a 280zx turbo manual there around that time that had a french speaking bitching betty.

I rebuilt a turbo and swapped head/turbo/manifolds to my 280zx turbo and drove it for 5 years in my 280zx and gave the entire engine with a built 3n71b to datsun dynamics where I used to work along with the original p90 head and manifolds.

From there, the trail goes cold but I'm sure someone got that sweet running engine and will eventually show up on a forum somewhere and show pics confirming the casting number.

Other than the casting saying P99, it was identical to the P90A.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Photo?

What does 'identical to P90A' mean? Identical to P90A Hydraulic, or P90A Mechanical?

Something substantially different would have to exist to require a different casting number. If you didn't see any differences, maybe you werent looking close enough at the casting number?

The casting variations between the extant N42 heads is huge (No EFI notches and carbed bolt pattern mounting holes, open and closed combustion chambers but all N42 casting number). If it has a a different casting (example P79, P90) there are substantial differences: P79 has liners and round exhaust ports, P90 no liners and rectangular ports. Yet the P90 US version will have a CHT, whereas some markets have a P90 without one. All have the same combustion chambers.

Methinks maybe P79. But I remain open to the existence of a P99 if someone can show me one.

No need to be arsey about it, I've seen guys who work on thousands of compressors over several decades miss the seemingly most obvious things every day. Far more often than you think. Familiarity breeds contempt in many cases and people just stop looking.

All I asked for is a photo to confirm it so I'm not wasting my time investigating what reason Nissan had for a P99 head (being it was the FIRST EVER time I can think of it being mentioned...)

JSM has obliged with that. Now the question remains, what does 'exactly like a P90A' really mean?

P90A Mechanical?

P90A Hydraulic?

Is this POSITIVELY a hydraulic head, in which case the proper reference would be 'The way to tell if you have a hydraulic head for sure is look for casting number P99'? As we all know P90A's are not necessarily hydraulic.

I mean, we've got two people hoarding information on a casting which apparently is unexplored here....what gives?

And more importantly, what did Nissan Change. They changed something---they just don't change a casting number for S&G. If you didn't see a difference then as Adam Ant says: "Must be something inside."

Who's up for sectioning one?

Arsey? review your post history.

square ports, hydraulic lifters, no liners, cylinder head temp sensor hole.

I compared it to 4 other p90a heads we had and could find no difference.

Maybe the head is a casting they used to correct the flashing found in the coolant passages of earlier heads.

If the head is still around, then creationz in reston, va had it or Brian downey might remember putting it on a car some years ago.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Auto-Expectations/10150113583150347

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Have you never seen or used the famous "Nissan L6 engine builder v0.1 1999 Sydney Z car club Australia" engine program Tony?

The P99 head is listed right there.

Nope, never have. So this sounds like an 'export' engine option---not a NNA normal supply item (original foggy memory of OP stated 'possible canadian origin' or something?)

As for the 'casting flash' theory.... I believe I stated "Must be something inside."

Again, anybody got one for sectioning, they don't change casting numbers without a reason...

Edited by Tony D

I have seen my good nature has been abused yet once again.

So this leaves us where we began: anybody got a photo?

I am often called to task with the 'just because you say it doesn't make it true'...

Now is the OZ Calculator really something that shows a P99? Is there a P99?

Like I said, I have not seen one. Anybody got a (real) photo or documentation to support what this 'mystery head' entails? :blink: