HybridZ

RB26 ITB's on an L-series engine?

Globerunner513

Ok I've been searching for a while, and can't find anyone that has tried this. I'm sure its been done before. What challenges are involved? It seems like a good simple way to go the ITB route.

Will the stock RB-26 intake runners bolt up to the head of an L28? Or will a carb intake manifold, such as for a triple weber setup, bolt up to the throttle bodies?

Ok I've been searching for a while, and can't find anyone that has tried this. I'm sure its been done before. What challenges are involved? It seems like a good simple way to go the ITB route.

Will the stock RB-26 intake runners bolt up to the head of an L28? Or will a carb intake manifold, such as for a triple weber setup, bolt up to the throttle bodies?

Well if you use a triple DCOE/PHH manifold with an adaptor plate it will work :D I know as I have gone the other way - removed RB26 ITB - bolted up my adaptor plate and mounted DCOE based throttle bodies on my RB hybrid NA setup that I will be running. The bore spacing is very close and just some port matching on the adaptor plate is required. Using the RB26 ITB you will have the weld on some injector bungs on the triple manifold and like. Anyway here are some pics of my setup for my RB

Click thumb to see larger pic

thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor1.jpg thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor2.jpg thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor3.jpg thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor4.jpg thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor5.jpg thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor6.jpg thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor7.jpg thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor8.jpg

I'm really liking those adapters. I see you were selling some a while back. Do you have some left? If you do, for how much would you be willing to part with them? Its something to think about for sure.

EDIT: for Z31TURBODRAY, for one, I don't know that they won't just bolt up. They very well could as the heads are somewhat similar in this regard. Also, this is HybridZ, where members come up with solutions to these kinds of problems every day, such an example can be seen above.

Edited by Globerunner513

You'll still need to have the manifold drilled and weld on some injector bungs, the RBs have them in that seperate plate in between the throttlebodies and head.

Or you could mount the injector as described in this thread.

Another way to mix fuel and air

See the CSI 3.0 and posts about injector mounting above velocity stacks. That would be a killer setup if one were to happen to have a set of those RB26 throttle valves already handy...

12274763884451798675244.JPG

Edited by rayaapp2

Or if you want ITBs and have the cash, get a complete bolt-on system from Extrudabody.

L6 head to triple DCOE manifold, and a 6 set of ITBs with injectors and fuel rail on DCOE-type base plates already kitted out to bolt on the DCOE manifold.

Everything in the picture I posted above costs $250 plus shipping... If you happened to already have a set laying around for some some reason that would be even better. I dont think your going to be able to buy even one of those aftermarket throttle bodies(maybe not even used for that price). I mean not unless you happen to have 3 of those bad boys already laying around instead.

What do those aftermarket TB's go for? $400-$800 ea? X3 = $1200 for TBs.

Then there are these and they are similar in price and bolt on.

1061071-2T.jpg

Take that same amount and pay $275 for the 26 TBs and spend the rest retro-fitting them to the DCOE manifold and velocity stacks that accept injectors.

kiwi303, did you not read the link I posted in its entirety? This idea presents the opportunity to try something high performance. This could easily become a superior setup to the bolt on DCOE direct replacements in regards to performance. Have a look see. :)

Edited by rayaapp2

I'm really liking those adapters. I see you were selling some a while back. Do you have some left? If you do, for how much would you be willing to part with them?
Unfortunately these were a one off - one these 3 were made and I never made extra for sale etc. They were simple I gave the engineer/cnc machinist the RB26 intake manifold, a DCOE ITB and some nice alloy and I got the adaptors back :D

Re injector locations as rayaapp2 has stated in the top of the trumpet is an option aka F1 style. The further away from the head the better for performance, I am lead to believe, but not good for emmissions and the like which is why OEM install injectors right next to head.

I already had the DCOE ITB so that is why I am using them an not the stock RB26 items + this is a hybrid site so my NA RB is a hybrid ;)

Edited by NZeder

There is a ITB setup that you can buy from TWM that bolts straight to a Triple weber intake and doesn't require any modification to the intake, It may be cheaper then Extruddabody but I'm not sure.

Yes TWM do a setup but what is in the youtube you have linked to are EFIHardware items from Melbourne Australia (well 35 minutes out side of Melbourne) that car is Dimitri's he is member on here.

When the exchange rate 'was as it should be' the items out of Melbourne were considerably less expensive than the TWM items, and every bit as serviceable. Frank280ZX had a set on his car and they worked well.

What do you meany Tony, the exchange rate is where it should be, last time I saw it like this, I was about 10.

Best time ever to get engine parts for my car..

Nigel

Edited by Noddle

When the exchange rate 'was as it should be' the items out of Melbourne were considerably less expensive than the TWM items, and every bit as serviceable. Frank280ZX had a set on his car and they worked well.

Yes I sold Frank those to number of years ago.

Globerrunner513 good luck with the ITB project and let us know how go with getting adaptors made etc.

Thanks guys! Good info for sure.

I didn't mention before, but I'm going to be using an HKS type 1 plenum with my Turbo swap. ITBs would be great to keep the EFI. For nostalgia sake and bling factor and just all around cool-ness I'm still contemplating a set of triples..(yea yea I know Tony :bonk: )lol.

I have an R32 friend so was thinking a set of RB ITBs might be a good way to go. I'm going to keep at it and see what kind of solution I can come up with.

Thanks again! any other suggestions more than welcome

Edited by Globerunner513

I patiently waited THREE YEARS for the guy who sniped the HKS ITB's from me on E-Bay (for $400) to call saying he was ready to sell.

Then I paid $2000 for them.

REMEMBER THIS: THE HKS SURGE BOX IS PERIOD CORRECT WITH ITB'S!

Frankly, Nissan made their own ITB's very similar to HKS and SK back in 1971 for RAC Rally Competition. They used a first generation BOSCH ECU similar in configuration to the units used in the Type 3 VW's in 1968.

Triple-Style ITB's on a Weber/Mikuini Style Manifold ARE a 'period correct' vintage modification all the way back to 1971 AT LEAST! (And that is for an N/A application!)

"Nostalgia" is the strange and mundane---not what everybody remembers! A vintage ITB setup (perhaps Hillborn Injection) There's a reason I bought that Hillborn. I may want to put methanol in a street car some day... Or convert it. I don't know. But what is more vintage correct than a Hillborn Injected setup?