Hi, I've been doing a load of searching, and there are probably about 1/2 dozen threads about building an engine on the LD28 block and crank and have got a lot of info from them.
I'm just embarking on building the engine. Aim is to use the 83mm crank and get the bore out to around 90mm with sleeves, which I think will get to about 3.1 liter.
I'm looking to get some feedback on my plan, and possible answers to questions as I go along, or just bored silence
So - V57 block (rear sump), V07 crank and I've acquired 6 Isuzu 4ZE1 rods from Maxpeedingrods. They're 150mm long, 26.8 mm wide with 21mm little end and 52mm big end.
I'll be using my existing modified P90 head - chamber size is currently 39cc.
1) by my calc, I'm looking for a piston with compression height around 35 to 36. does that sound about right? Kameari have 35.5 CH forged pistons up to 89.5mm bore - anyone know any others?
2) with a 1mm undersize rod journal, can the crank be offset ground that 1mm and get me 84mm stroke? or doesn't it work like that?
3) Do I need to open up the water holes on the right side of the block to match the head water holes, or plug the head holes? I'm assuming the former, but read a thread maybe suggested the latter.
4) The block doesn't have the water bypass to the pump hole, and it can't be made. I'm assuming this isn't a problem and I don't need to do anything to blank the head here. correct?
5) The replacement liners will need to be brazed in one way or another. Anyone got any details of what does and doesn't work here?
6) I'm planning to use the LD timing cover (modified to get rid of the mounting for the diesel pump). All the threads I read, people used the L20B timing cover - Is the only concern here the distributor? I'm running a distributor-less setup. I don't think L20B timing covers are so plentiful here in the UK.
7) I don't like the idea of drilling my nice P90 head for M12 bolts, I'd like to keep it usable for my F54 block if possible, so I'd like to helicoil the block to M10 and just get longer M10 head bolts. Anything wrong with this plan?
That's all I've got for now - all feedback welcome.