HybridZ

throttle rod alignment question

dsalni

First off, I have searched, but haven't found an answer, so here I am.

I'm converting my 280z with a stock l28 from EFI to triple side drats. (i realize the topic is questionable and frowned up on by many, but I'm hoping to get some answers regarding the problem i've run into)

Right after removing the EFI intake manifold, I threw on the side draft manifold (unknown brand) just to test fit, and noticed that the throttle shaft does not line up with the manifold linkage.

5769483709_8a76825a33_z.jpg5769484313_8d4d8fced8_z.jpg

my question is, is the throttle rod positioned closer to the center line of the car in 240z's compared to 280z's? Just trying to figure out why the two dont line up and what options I have. I have been considering doing a throttle cable conversion, but would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks in advance, and if I did miss a post covering this, I do apologize.

Edited by dsalni

I have a Canon Manifold, and it's a little longer. It fit fine in my 260z, all I had to do was grind off about an inch. You are probably going to have to move the rod lever over to get it aligned with the manifold, unless you can find a canon manifold. Converting to a throttle cable would be a pain with triple carbs.

Thanks for your response BluDestiny. I did some digging on throttle cables, and yeah, that's something I'd like to stay away from.

So like you've mentioned, I guess my best option would be re-locating the throttle rod closer to the centerline of the car on the firewall. I actually used to have a Cannon manifold, but there were lots of linkage pieces missing, so I ended up selling it.

thanks again!

1) The setup already has a throttle quadrant on the linkage, so attaching a throttle cable and mounting the stop bracket doesn't seem to be any more difficult than your proposed solution of relocating the firewall linkage... :huh:

2) And given this firewall linkage only rotates 90 degrees, the reason you can't just hook it up and try it is.... :huh:

2) And given this firewall linkage only rotates 90 degrees, the reason you can't just hook it up and try it is.... :huh:

My understanding was that a perfectly straight throttle rod setup is preferred in order to avoid any kind of binding. I'll give mine a shot and see what happens.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Where the linkage attaches to the firewall has a ball that rotates quite a bit. Just try it like Tony suggested and if it doesn't work then just relocate that ball assy. Alot easier than going thru the deal with the cable set up in my opinion. See the photo from my car since I moved it on the firewall.post-4563-039430900 1306696920_thumb.jpg

Scott

Edited by PalmettoZ

My understanding was that a perfectly straight throttle rod setup is preferred in order to avoid any kind of binding. I'll give mine a shot and see what happens.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Tony was refering to rotation for a throttle cable not the rod assembly. 90 degrees of rotation is enough to actuate the cable for full throttle so its not like you dont have enough travel to accomadate a cable install.

I have done a throttle cable install. Its actually really simple on the firewall side. Check out some of the RB swap installs and you will see what I am talking about. This is different than what Tony is suggesting. Here is a picture of what some of us have done.

post-273-092087000 1306695693_thumb.jpg

Throttle linkage post from rb forum

Now for the other side Im up in the air. Im building a triple carb L series with the Mikuni manifold. Its a day or 2 away from being installed into the car so Im not there yet. I am currently stumpped in the same way though. I cannot find an eligant and simple way of emploring a cable. Its the same with the rod linkage as well. I have waited on going further with it though until its all installed into the car. I find sometimes that a solution presents itself once I can see what Im dealing with.

Edited by rayaapp2

Actually Ray, I was talking about the linkage hookup.

And I was referring exactly to the setup you posted a photo of when referring to the throttle cable!

Either is pretty easy. With the way you can rotate the linkage on the manifold, you can have the 90 degree rotation in a non-binding aspect. If the 'finger' went in the bottom of the linkage on the manifold, and rotated towards the head for it's 90 degrees, sure there is a possible bind. But putting it in the top and having it rotate down towards the carbs 90 degrees would be less so, and actually somewhat help to push it in the 'closed' direction.

Some angularity is acceptable you just don't want to go nuts.

That is why Frank 280ZX was so happy with my manifold on the DHLAs he took from me back to Holland this past April. Bolted it up and the manifold linkage dropped RIGHT ON like the stock EFI manifold. He was shocked. Short manifold, too! It's just the way it was done in Japan! :P