HybridZ

is this early 260z worth it?

cakebreak

This Monday i will have the opportunity to purchase an early 260z and i am wondering if its worth it, the price is 2800.

The good:

Running l28 low compression swap with 5 speed, carbed not FI.

Nearly rust free.

The bad:

Needs passenger side floor pan.

Needs a new rear section of the vehicle below the tail lights.(It's rusted through in quite a few places)

Cracked dash.

Needs new paint but that's a given.

It will be my first car and then eventually a project car but until then it will be a dd.

sorry about having no pics but i was so excited to see the car that i forgot to take any pictures and their closed on the weekend.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by cakebreak

That's really hard to say, whether it's worth is or not..

As far as the work that it requires, is that something you can do or are willing to take on?

edit: I was reading something wrong...

Depends on how much work you are willing to do. The further away it is from what you want, the more work it will take to get it there..

Good Luck with your decision!

Edited by Christine

The rust on the rear of the car isn't as bad as it sounds, the rust on the rear had been ground down and then covered with por-15.

The rust in the passenger side floor pan is 3 half dollar sized holes that could be patched but id probably choose just to replace the floor pan entirely. I can weld so welding is not an issue. Plus all the other z's i have seen here in Washington state have been in far worse condition and roughly the same price. I thought i might be getting a good deal for it.

Edited by cakebreak

We need pictures. And price will vary based on who you are talking to. A good welder (or someone really willing to learn) who sucks at mechanical would like that car since his skills can fix what is wrong and vice verca if it was a great shell with a blown motor. Also what are the good points? did he add any aftermarket/go fast parts like headers, ignition stuff, etc?

We need pictures of the rust to get a better idea anyway, but I would talk him down.

I'm not sure if he had any go fast parts on it besides the l28 and 5 speed swap he did have some kind of aftermarket distributor on it but I'm not sure what kind. I'm going to see if he will put it on the lift for me so i can get a better look at the underside of it and ill try to remember to take some pictures. He did have some American Racing wheels on it again not sure what model.

edit: I believe they are either the AR172 BAJA or the AR23

Edited by cakebreak