HybridZ

Stahl Headers Not Doing L28 Headers Anymore

Xnke

So, it appears that Stahl is no longer going to be making headers at all, for anything...especially the L-series. As of June 1, 2011, they have ceased taking orders for them. They still sell header kits and flanges, but it's unclear as to the availability of kits for the L28...

Who is going to step up and provide a quality header for the L28 now? Are there other options out there that are actually attainable?

I have an old MSA 6-2 header that leaks pretty bad, is pretty rusty, and kinda warped...but it works for the short term. I was looking at the Stahl or small Nissan Comp headers, since everyone seems to agree they are some of the better designs out there.

Stahl Isn't making them anymore, and I thought Nissan Comp quit making them a long time ago, but were available if you looked hard enough.

What's a good direction to start looking?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried a few times to buy the fixtures and jigs from Stahl when they announced they were ceasing production. Couldn't ever get a price from Jere. He's been pretty sick so I guess its the end of the line for those headers.

Just how many L28 headers did Stahl sell in a year? The MSA 6 into 2 with the ceramic coating worked fine for me, but I regret not getting a set from Stahl. They were the best USA-made ones commonly available.

and there are none 'in-stock', left-on-the-shelf deals on these right John? I recall each on was custom-built based on the client's specifications. let me know there are any getting dusty somewhere ... btw just to let you know your R180 stub adapters worked great at the track this weekend!

Each one was custom made and took about 3 weeks to get. Jere brazed the primaries to the flange and put a lot of extra meat there so you could port match the headers to even heavily modified heads.

Glad the side axles worked. So far no problems after a couple years. A couple 510 guys have had them pull out but that's a recurring issue with heavily lowered 510s that use snap-in style side axles.

Sure, there are plenty of headers out there in Japan, Tony...but is it really worth paying the purchase cost in shipping to get one here?

On that note, I actually had thought about sending you a PM to see if you had a pile of Japan headers to buy from....

Oh, just thought about this ... those JDM headers are likely for RHD cars and thus there could be clearance issues with our LHD cars here in the States. I did a quick check on prices and surfer.tech was correct, those are the prices excluding shipping from Japan. Of course you can stuff them into TonyD's carry-on bags for a nominal fee.

Tony, the Stahl headers were from 750 to 1150 last time I called for a price, for the header and collector, in mild steel, ceramic coated. The Nissan comp header was 350-400 from Courtesy Nissan, but they said they would have to locate one...that it might be more expensive depending on how hard to find it was.

750$ is a lot of money, but it seemed worth it for a quality header that would last. I have an old MSA header now that is getting pretty thin in spot and leaks pretty bad.

I am now looking at the MSA 6-1 header...and chopping the collector off to replace it with two 3-1 collectors of a better design than the short boxy thing that is on there now.

Oh, just thought about this ... those JDM headers are likely for RHD cars and thus there could be clearance issues with our LHD cars here in the States. I did a quick check on prices and surfer.tech was correct, those are the prices excluding shipping from Japan. Of course you can stuff them into TonyD's carry-on bags for a nominal fee.

Most of the Japanese tuners can modify the header to fit LHD drives. Kameari is making me a LHD header for my car. The Fujitsubo SUPER-EX header will need modification. Also, if you can find a TRUST headr, it will bolt on, no modifications.

Edit: the Trust header is 600 new. If you can source one.

As for shipping, I had a Fujitsubo Legalis-R muffler shipped from Japan to Canada for a measly 150 bucks. Insured. It all depends on your rep.

Edited by surfer.tech

I talked with Judy, Stahl will still sell you the pieces for the L6 header for about $280. Some assembly required. You'd have to custom fabricate your own collector. If anyone gets a lead on the Trust brand header (like a URL link to what it looks like) I'd be interested.

I talked with Judy, Stahl will still sell you the pieces for the L6 header for about $280. Some assembly required. You'd have to custom fabricate your own collector. If anyone gets a lead on the Trust brand header (like a URL link to what it looks like) I'd be interested.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?31150-Trust-exhaust-manifold-from-Japan

I have a Trust header on mine, the price then was 45,000 yen, and that would indeed equate to $600 or thereabouts today.

The other more expensive headers are set for custom applications, but the pricing shown is about the range, you can spend anything you want, from a low of around $600 to a high end of MAYBE $2000 US. That's 160,000 yen at todays' exchange rate.

Remember, when the yen was 268 to the dollar? I do, that 160,000 yen header that costs you $2000 today at 77 yen per dollar? It was more like $600, and those BEAUTIFUL 45,000 yen Trust/OS/Fujitsubo headers were only around $175!

It's the decline of the dollar that's made the parts expensive...thing is the quality remains the same as when you could buy them dirt cheap. Try that in America with anything and see if it holds true! The deals in Japan simply have gone from 'Super Killer' to 'market priced'... hell their gasoline prices remain around 100-125 yen per liter. Same as in 89... But the dollar price? That's escalated.

Sucks to be tied to a currency that is deflating/inflating/tampered with artificially, huh?

Edited by Tony D

Yeah, kinda.

I talked with Jere Thursday, and will be calling back Monday to place my order for the prebent header tubes, collectors, and flange. I'm looking at 1.5" primaries stepped to 1.625", 30" long.