HybridZ

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome job! I'm thinking of ditching my Z31 to get a 72' 240z. i want to do that exact swap! but L28ET's are getting rarer everyday! btw, how much did you get that Nardi Classic for? that thing is beautiful haha. Oh and what kind of problems did you have with the L24?

The L24 Ran pretty decent, but i was having more and more fuel issues (i believe it was a combo of the Carbs needing a rebuild, a bad Mechanical pump and lines that were slightly too large potentially causing cavitation of the fuel.) and near daily when i would drive it i would get this condition where i would lose all power completely, and the car would stall, and i would usually have to pull the pump off and prime it by hand to get it to run again. I figure if i had gotten a new mechanical pump or a good electric pump, and some new fuel lines, i would have been okay, but i also was annoyed with how slow the thing was (it barely beat out my buddies FB Rx7 with the 6 ports not functioning)

The L28 i just lucked by on CL one day, and a trip to LA and 6 bills later it was mine, but i agree they are becoming hard to find, im glad i got it when i did.

The nardi i paid just over 500 bucks for, I wanted a Nardi classic and a Quick release ever since my buddy got an AE86 with a quick release, i think theyre **** n lipstick, and well, my old steering wheel was really showing its age. It was a Hub/Quickrelease/Wheel kit from Weaksauceparts.com They are good guys and got it shipped fast, but unfortunately the part they have listed for 260 and 280z's (that i ordered because they are the same) was actually an S13 hub they assumed would fit(the problem was actually with NRG, not Wek Sos), and well, it doesnt, so a 45 dollar Grant Hub and adapter later its good to go. It puts the wheel a bit close to me, but that is perfect because it gives me room for my legs (Im 6'6", i need all the room i can get)

Typing this post is making me realize that i have too much money in this car, and i keep wanting to spend more... damnit

I suppose i can also post up a Precursor.

This is the Starion i bought and sold to get this Z. I bought it in February as an uncompleted Auto-Manual swap. Basically all it needed was a Transmission mount built. so i built a transmission mount, and started driving her, and sold it after i got tired of it burning oil on startup and getting 12mpg. It was a fun car though, i do kind of miss it. I Bought it for 800 bucks and sold it for 2600, and broke even, (would have made a couple bucks if i didnt buy some useless **** that i didnt need) so i cant really complain. All in all it was a fun car, but the Z just has so much more character, i cant wait to get her running

I bought it without the airdam, even though the PO said he would include it, he ended up folding the ends in and shipping it USPS, so i stickerbombed it to cover up the shittyness.

021.jpg

(some stupid **** i was talking about, i had 600 bucks in the exhaust alone, when i could have done it for a 1/4 of that, but i wasnt planning on selling it at the time)

022.jpg

The sale was kind of an impulse thing. One day i just kind of decided that i didnt want the car, and originally i was going to buy an LTD Wagon to soup up, but i found this S30 on CL for 900 and couldnt pass it up...

I consider myself lucky with that sale (unfortunately at the new owners expense) While i knew it had an oil burning issue, I didnt realize quite how bad it was. The alternator died about 4 days after i sold it, and the turbo seals blew about 2 weeks after that. I ended up giving the guy the stock T3 from my L28et(also needed a rebuild, figured it might be a decent upgrade from the 12A) and i got him a discount on the alternator (i work at an Oreillys)

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

Small update. I finished my Floor mount pedals. Essentially its a Pedal box built out to just behind the wheel to fit the master cylinders. They are all bled and working, and they feel damn good.

Next thing to do is going to be replacing the passenger floor and then i can move onto wiring the car.

Here are some pics

Heres another shot with the Front valence

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Ass Shot

DSC_0007.jpg

This is my Rear logo. Its actually a 350z rear badge, with the 5 and 3 switched and the 5 upside down to read more like an S. if you cant see what i was getting at with it, well then, youre dumb. Im not sure i am going to keep it, but i kind of like the way it looks

DSC_0006.jpg

and lastly, a couple pics of the pedals. They sit a bit closer than the stockers, but with the wheel being closer as well, its nothing that cant be dealt with, and are pretty comfy. I cut the gas pedal off and welded a 1" peice of square tubing between it and the rod, as well as moved it to the left to make Heel-Toe downshifting easier, all the pedals are going to be easily usable and feel good.

DSC_0005.jpg

And a blurry full drivers interior shot,

DSC_0004.jpg

Small text update. I got my passenger floor replaced yesterday and got the bad dog rails in. Unfortunately I didn't have the steel I needed to make the seat mount so that gets to wait. Luckily once that's all said and done I can start wiring this breezy and get her running again

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

• 3 weeks later...

Havent been updating this thread, or taking pictures, but heres ome eye candy.

Floors have been replaced, the seats are in, my new 5 points (that i traded for a shitty oil catch can and the S13 hub i had) sans the submarine belt are in. My car has Wiring again, and it all appears to be working well. i have a few things to work out, but all the essentials are working (headlights, taillights, brakes, hi beams, etc) the horn and turn signals dont but i will figure that out in due time, my main thing was making sure that the MS and the starter circuit all worked, and they do, so yeah

here is my video, ignore my rambling, i was excited that (aside from forgetting to put my coil pack on) it started first try. Still runs like shite, but now that the wiring is nice and new i can pave the way to getting her tuned and driving.

heres my video.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/BANDGEEK234/?action=view&current=IMG_00841.mp4

i forgot to mention that this is with the bung that i had for the vacuum booster unplugged (which it idles well with, go figure...)

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

Still in process, but its comin along, i FINALLY got my harness wrapped and figured out, its still a bit of a clusterfuck under the dash, but noone can see it so its NBD and everything works. I had an issue where my turn signals were backwards (two way switches work like they logically should, not the way you think they should BTW) and my hazards didnt work (had the diodes in backwards) That and one of the flashers i got in my harness kit is bad, but that doesnt really matter.

Last night, i bought a honda accord wiper motor to do that conversion, since my old motor died, i have the wires and everything for it, i just need to install it and wire it up and it should be good to go. and i also bought 2 yards of

THIS

QuiltDetailBlack.jpg

its some 3/8" foam backed vinyl with diamonds similar to that on the 240z stock, im gonna use that in the stock locations (sides of the trans tunnel, maybe on the rockers, i still have the original stuff on the rear wheel wells so ill probably keep that. should look pretty fancy pants,

anywho heres some update pics. like i said, the dash is in for the final time, ive got some custom brackets for my center console(the stock one that went under it would contact the constant 12v peg on the ignition switch, so i had to cut the bracket for it out and raise the switch up an inch to clear, so ive got two brackets on the very edge of the trans tunnel and i also got a lower shift boot installed to at least help with interior noise...

404370_10150830147504676_714674675_12818335_1432500521_n.jpg

I started from the front and worked my way around, you cant see my airhorn in this picture (a shitty napa or something two tone, sounded really homo with both so i took the high tone out) but its just to left (cars left, right in the picture) of the intercooler, just next to the headlight bucket. You can also see my h4 conversion headlights (nothing to see really, theyre just there.)

403303_10150830148379676_714674675_12818337_1117069375_n.jpg

nothing terribly special going on here, nothing new at least. im a big fan of the painted lettering though.

416784_10150830149384676_714674675_12818339_441450574_n.jpg

the ass end is pretty much unchanged

426107_10150830150074676_714674675_12818341_1845222081_n.jpg

418197_10150830150534676_714674675_12818342_1395395247_n.jpg

my dash is IN for the last time hopefully, got my speedhut tach and speedo in place and my chitty parts store equus everything else (im gonna be replacing those with speedhuts soon)

this pic shows off the nardi nicely, as well as the floor mounts, and the lower switch panel and turbo timer, unfortunately, not much can be seen of the upper (you can also see the GPS dongle for the speedo front and center on the dash peice)

420574_10150830151254676_714674675_12818348_74191548_n.jpg

lastly, my parts store racing seats and my 5 points (minus the submarine belt) that i traded for a shitty catch can and an S13 hub) Currently they are just attached to the stock 3rd point mount, but im planning on building a rear strut tower brace with provisions for them.

• 2 months later...

Its been a couple months since i updated this thread, so here is the basic jist of what has happened.

-I got it starting and idling with the MS/EDIS setup

-I could not get it to rev for ****, and i couldnt improve the way it ran, mostly a timing issue as it would jump between what appeared to be limp mode and something rediculous about every two seconds(when timing it would be at roughly 10* and then randomly the timing mark would disappear)

-I decided the EDIS wasnt worth it, so i picked up a stock distributor.

-After much frustration and realizing i had to rewire the ECU, Lo and behold the F**ker doesnt run anymore. and no matter what i did to the timing or basic fuel parameters, it will not start. It fires off for 3 or 4 pistons every couple seconds but it will not stay running.

-and finally after months and months of abuse, my year old starter finally took a **** on me (bought it in may of 2011 when i first got the car, lasted through the L24, the L28 Brutally murdered it)

That brings us to today. i put a new starter in it, in order to put a timing gun on it and try desperately for what feels like the thousandth time to get it running. what actually happened was i got sidetracked in two separate motor swaps (Helping my Cooworker fix her grenaded 305 with a 350, and helping my friend put a B16 in an Austin Mini).

That basically brings us to today. I was contemplating buying another starion, and LS1 swapping it for a new daily after i sold my jeep this week. When i got to thinking, why dont i just LS1 swap the Z. Aside from the fact that i think it is blasphemous, and i have been trying to keep the sleek, 6 cylinder nature of the car, and the obvious extra work involved, i could not, and cannot think of a single reason to stay with the L28. Especially because my buddy with the mini has quite a bit of fundage, and just happens to have an LS1/T56 laying around for another project that is in a semi-stalled state.

So we made a deal, i take the LS1 now, and i buy him another one when hes ready to finish his project

Anywho, i guess that makes things obvious, My 240 is getting an LS1, something i said i would never do not 3 weeks ago, And if anyone needs any L28 ET parts, i will be posting up a For sale thread soon, and will obviously be updating the build thread as such.

Its been a couple months since i updated this thread, so here is the basic jist of what has happened.

-I got it starting and idling with the MS/EDIS setup

-I could not get it to rev for ****, and i couldnt improve the way it ran, mostly a timing issue as it would jump between what appeared to be limp mode and something rediculous about every two seconds(when timing it would be at roughly 10* and then randomly the timing mark would disappear)

-I decided the EDIS wasnt worth it, so i picked up a stock distributor.

-After much frustration and realizing i had to rewire the ECU, Lo and behold the F**ker doesnt run anymore. and no matter what i did to the timing or basic fuel parameters, it will not start. It fires off for 3 or 4 pistons every couple seconds but it will not stay running.

-and finally after months and months of abuse, my year old starter finally took a **** on me (bought it in may of 2011 when i first got the car, lasted through the L24, the L28 Brutally murdered it)

That brings us to today. i put a new starter in it, in order to put a timing gun on it and try desperately for what feels like the thousandth time to get it running. what actually happened was i got sidetracked in two separate motor swaps (Helping my Cooworker fix her grenaded 305 with a 350, and helping my friend put a B16 in an Austin Mini).

That basically brings us to today. I was contemplating buying another starion, and LS1 swapping it for a new daily after i sold my jeep this week. When i got to thinking, why dont i just LS1 swap the Z. Aside from the fact that i think it is blasphemous, and i have been trying to keep the sleek, 6 cylinder nature of the car, and the obvious extra work involved, i could not, and cannot think of a single reason to stay with the L28. Especially because my buddy with the mini has quite a bit of fundage, and just happens to have an LS1/T56 laying around for another project that is in a semi-stalled state.

So we made a deal, i take the LS1 now, and i buy him another one when hes ready to finish his project

Anywho, i guess that makes things obvious, My 240 is getting an LS1, something i said i would never do not 3 weeks ago, And if anyone needs any L28 ET parts, i will be posting up a For sale thread soon, and will obviously be updating the build thread as such.

The only time the car has moved in 2 months was from in front of my house to my garage, and that was earlier tonight... I know of at least one other Green Z in encinitas that has tiger teeth, but the teeth are small and its a very dark green, no air dam or spoiler either. that will be weird if i have a twin though.

I was really hoping to keep the L series. Like i said, I MUCH prefer Z's with 6 cylinders. I actually gave a guy some **** a couple weeks ago for having an LS1 in his 280, so i guess im a hipocrate now. If it ran better(or at all, lol) i would keep the ET, but at this point, with the deal i am getting on this motor, i cant really pass it up.

On a side note i just forked over the cash for an Alternator bracket, Some header flanges, and yet more Fuel lines... Yay

Next on the list is gonna be a JCI Mount kit, but that will come after some more of my L series crap sells, im getting down on funds and i have to buy a head set for the motor

BTW if you dont know LS motors, a head set (top end gaskets, not even including the Timing cover gasket, is 175 Bucks. Luckily i work at an oreillys so my discount helps alot, but still, thats ******* expensive

I also spent a couple hours tonight pulling the car apart. I got the I/C, piping, turbo, intake, oil cooler, and exhaust out.

photo13-1.jpg

Heres my new motor, in my van, like a boss. I really have to give my friend james a big thanks. Like i said, im not getting it for free, but i dont have to pay for it right now either, so its making this process WAY easier, at least for now. He also gave me an R230 that he had from when he had a 240, which was in the front seat. I think i tweaked my back carrying a 115 lb transmission and a 130 lb diff by myself =/

photo12-1.jpg

I also got a FAST EFI and XFI setup (fuel control and ignition control, Fuel being self learning, so all of the problems i was having on the L will be nonexistant... WOOOT, as well as some cheapo Fabricated aluminum valve covers, NOS clutch and flywheel, Driveshaft for the yoke, etc, etc, etc

photo11-1.jpg

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

I would have to say, that car was wrecked so it was definitely not you, but similar for sure.

That thing's going to be a beast in the Z. You should throw a turbo on there, I agree, but I think it should be a bigger one! That thing was way to small for the big LS1.

Love your interior setup by the way, today made me basically want to copy your setup cause it is perfect for a Z.

haha thanks man. I mostly did that because i have a Painless harness, and it was easier than wiring the stock multiswitch, i think im going to redo the upper part though, seeing as i dont need the AFR or boost gauges, or the turbo timer....

Also, good news Sal, i should have the motor out tomorrow. I worked on it after work today and got the trans, hood, and radiator off, and literally all i need to do at this point is hook up the chain and pull it out.

Anywho, thread stuffs. Im debating fabbing my own mounts, or just buying the JCI kit. im kind of broke at this point from spending gratuitous amounts of money elsewhere, but then again i should be getting some back once some parts sell *cough cough, the motor, cough cough*

THIS

QuiltDetailBlack.jpg

its some 3/8" foam backed vinyl with diamonds similar to that on the 240z stock, im gonna use that in the stock locations (sides of the trans tunnel, maybe on the rockers, i still have the original stuff on the rear wheel wells so ill probably keep that. should look pretty fancy pants,

Did you ever get around to trying this out?