HybridZ

Threaded collars don't fit on strut tubes

I am switching to coilovers on my 280Z. I bought a set of 2" inside diameter threaded collars from Beta Motorsport and they won't fit over my 280z struts. The ends of the struts look to be a little mushroomed, maybe from someone overtightening the strut collar.

Any thoughts on how I can get the collar on? Do I dare file the struts a little to provide some clearance? Could I slot the threaded collar so it can expand and go over the strut?

Thanks for your ideas and experience.

Michael

I sent you the wrong parts or the supplier sent me the wrong parts. I'll send you the right parts.

EDIT: Just checked my stock. All the supposed 280Z threaded collars I have are 240Z parts. I just ordered a bunch of the correct parts and I'll overnight them up to you when I get them in my hands. I guess I need to mic them from now on when they come in.

I sent you the wrong parts or the supplier sent me the wrong parts. I'll send you the right parts.

EDIT: Just checked my stock. All the supposed 280Z threaded collars I have are 240Z parts. I just ordered a bunch of the correct parts and I'll overnight them up to you when I get them in my hands. I guess I need to mic them from now on when they come in.

Big sigh of relief. Thanks John. I should have asked you first. Don't need to overnight them. I won't be installing them for at least 2 more weeks.

Michael

After reading this im concerned I dont ahve the right ones either...Although I didnt order them from john.

I bought them from a guy on here and were told they were for an early 240-260z...I slide em on but the dont fit very "snug", they are fairly loose really.

I have them at the shop a few hours away awaiting the typical sectioning treatment.

Should I be looking for a new set of threaded sleeves as well?

Thanks

Edited by redneck1545

They don't have to be snug. Sometimes its better if they move around a little bit to help reduce spring bind, although they can be noisy. If its a concern you can wrap the strut tube with some aluminum tape to snug things up.

^^^ so lets say I actually purchased some 280z sleeves from a guy who thought they were 240z sleeves?

I havent had the chance to mic them yet so I cant be certain but lets say that is the case. Is it still not a big deal or should I go ahead and purchase the right sleeves from someone else. They are only like $20.00 a pop so its really not that big of a deal to me. I'd rather have the right part on there than wrap tape on em.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks