HybridZ

Any way to prime the fuel pump?

ttodhunter

I'm about to install a new (to me) fuel tank in my stock '76 280z. I know from past experience and from the FSM that the fuel pump will not prime until the tank is nearly full. Is there any other way to prime the pump, such as pouring fuel down the line from the engine, or do I need to spend $70 on gas and have the possiblity of needing to empty it back out if something doesn't work?

Any help is appreciated!

Easy way to do this. On an electric pump, jump the relay to turn it on. It just needs enough fuel to be past the reserve portion of the tank, a 5 gallon gas tank is MORE than enough. On my 280zx, my reserve is right at a gallon or so before it starts injesting a little bit of air with the fuel, but all you need is enough fuel to fill up to the baffling.

Don't worry too much about it, just if the fuel pump sounds like it's running dry, pull the power offa it.

I dont understand why you would need to fill the tank up. A few gallons should be enough. Ive drained my gas tank before and didnt have this problem.

Had the same prime issue myself. I used a 1 gallon can fed to the pump.

Rag, Air Hose, Blowdown Nozzle.

Pressure into tank of about 0.25psig will push whatever fuel you have up to the front of the car if it's disconnected...

You could try blowing in the tank but I'm not Mick...

Mick-Jagger.jpg