HybridZ

Rod Bearing Question

zack_280

Can someone let me know if these rod bearings are the wrong bearings? I know that they look wrong, but this motor was built by people who build good motors (Sunbelt). Take a look at the picture below. Notice that the bearing is has a smaller width than the rod 'seat' and the tang is much smaller than the indent on the rod. Other than the fact that they look wrong, they have been on this motor for some time and they appear to be in good shape. Due to the fact that Clevite bearings are not in stock anywhere that I can find, I would prefer to reuse these.

IMG_20110619_140316.jpg

Thanks again,

Zack

Edited by zack_280

To directly and honestly answer your question: Yes, they are the 'wrong' bearing. They are not the bearings that are 'supposed to be in there' if that is your definition of 'right & wrong'....but before you chuck them into the shed's bin...

Please look at some engineering texts regarding reducing bearing frictional losses within I.C.E. and you will have your enlightened answer.

Damn, another secret is let out of the box for those who can see it! :huh:

Edited by Tony D

Thanks again for your answers. I'm going to read a little further into this, but it makes me feel better about re-using them. Even more so since I've already put the pistons/rods/bearings back into the block. As you guys have probably already noticed from my previous posts, I am far from an expert. But I can read gooder than some people and I can soak up the info from the wise counselors here.

The rods are not Nissan. I'm not sure exactly what manufacturer they are.

Zack

Hi Zack,

Your bearings look like the ones that are going into my motor. They center up into the bearing bore just like your pic. My rod bearings are from a Toyota Camry 2VZ-FE engine (same as Lexus). I am building a 3.0 liter with a reground stock L-28 crank, Toyota Celica rods (See John's note about non-Nissan rods) and custom pistons. I was able to order rod bearings (Clevite 77 with coating) from Calico Bearings.

Garrett

Toyota and Honda are your friends in this regard. Search the parts catalogs and technical data. Never be a purist when it comes to parts. The old adage 'parts is parts' is true.

I have guys who have blanched at Honda rods in a Toyota, but when you realize that you have a junkyard option that costs you $125 compared to beautiful Carillo's that cost you $1400....uh... well....

I was broken of the parts purist disease when I found out guys were using 5.7" Chevy rods in VW Strokers because the parts were CHEAP.

I now return to my metal box and put the leather mask on waiting for Mr. C to come suitably discipline me. In his stead he can send any of these nice looking ANA Attendants from the lounge here in Narita suitably attired in latex or leather... B)

Yes yes yes, the Jack Daniels is free... :lol:

Toyota and Honda are your friends in this regard. Search the parts catalogs and technical data. Never be a purist when it comes to parts. The old adage 'parts is parts' is true.

I have guys who have blanched at Honda rods in a Toyota, but when you realize that you have a junkyard option that costs you $125 compared to beautiful Carillo's that cost you $1400....uh... well....

I was broken of the parts purist disease when I found out guys were using 5.7" Chevy rods in VW Strokers because the parts were CHEAP.

I now return to my metal box and put the leather mask on waiting for Mr. C to come suitably discipline me. In his stead he can send any of these nice looking ANA Attendants from the lounge here in Narita suitably attired in latex or leather... B)

Yes yes yes, the Jack Daniels is free... :lol:

I hope the Toyota and Honda guys are better at measuring their rods than we are! (does that sound strange? I'll blame Tony)

How long is a stock L20A rod?

Anybody?

Edited by ozconnection

I think there is nothing special about the L20A rod, 133 or 130 same as the others.

But we put L20B rods in our L20A...

For which I am holding new Nissan Head Gaskets, purchased and delivered to the hotel on Friday past!