HybridZ

head gasket

bigjake34452

I have an 82 280zx, I had to replace a few things and used a JIS head gasket, i know its cheap but i wasnt planning on doing much with the car as far as performance. anyway i get the motor back in the car and had a very bad water leak, after pulling the head i found that the gasket left a jacket completely exposed. i ordered the correct gasket for the correct year and they have a very positive feedback on ebay (99.9%)but it is OBVIOUSLY not the right one after looking over it. (i should have looked over it harder, so its partly my fault) now im going to have to buy another gasket, was looking at the fel pro units like shown here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fel-Pro-HS8799PT-Head-Gasket-Set-/350470369533?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A280ZX&hash=item5199a970fd i shouldnt run into the same issue with this gasket right?

My JIS Turbo Gasket was a great piece, and far better quality than what I would have expected. It was comparable IMO to an OEM Nissan Gasket (graphoil laminate construction same as Nissan's, not impregnated paper with RTV rings on it!)

You need to make sure you have the right gasket, period. No matter what brand, or where you order it from.

I haven't particluarly had issues with Fel-Pro, either. But if you order the wrong one, it will do the same thing.

Frankly, for what I paid for the JIS, and the quality of the gasket they delivered, I wouldn't even CONSIDER a Fel Pro.

And considering I just paid nearly $120 EACH for NISSAN OEM (still in the Nissan Packaging, straight over the counter from a Nissan Dealer) Head Gasket and I can't see a SINGLE difference from it laying it side-by-side with the other 3 JIS gaskets I still have left (which I got for $30 each!!!) it makes me wonder where JIS and Nissan are getting them...other than a 'Nissan' logo on the Nissan OEM gasket, they appear IDENTICAL! :blink:

And IMO, the Nissan Gasket is by far and away the best gasket for the application when going stock (or for that matter...)

Tony D, Now don't tell us you don't have any connections with Nissan parts dealerships. $120.00 for a zx headgasket Wow. I got a nissan one a few months ago for 40 or 45 bucks, when I blew mine on my 83 n/a turbo engine. I am tech at a dealership but figured you could get the same discount.

Tony D, Now don't tell us you don't have any connections with Nissan parts dealerships. $120.00 for a zx headgasket Wow. I got a nissan one a few months ago for 40 or 45 bucks, when I blew mine on my 83 n/a turbo engine. I am tech at a dealership but figured you could get the same discount.

You are putting words in my mouth, go back and read what I posted and see if what I'm saying now is not 100% true!

If your local Dealership can get L Engine Head Gasket NISSAN P/N: 11044-R1005 for "$40 or $45" then you give me their phone number for the parts desk, and I'll place an order for 5 now, plus shipping costs.

Discount? The ASKING price was $133, and I STILL got them for $120. Put your money where your mouth is, give me YOUR best price on that part number, dude. Go ahead, make that call, and tell me what kind of price I got, discounted or not...

I would hate to put words in your mouth Tony, Bigjakes post says he has an 82ZX. So I am going by that and then you posted about how much you paid for one over the counter. I will check on the prices today ok. I will check on your part number also. ok

Ok Tony, got the Part number you posted, price checked. #11044-R1005 Headgasket if availabe is $45-50 bucks.

This is what I paid for my headgasket.

79-81 L28 #P7900 is $50-55 if available

81 on up #P7911 is $50-55 if available

So you're telling me, since I JUST picked three of them up (so I know they are available) that your source can get them for $45-50....

As I said, I'll take five plus shipping. PM me the contact information for your Nissan Dealer...

• 3 months later...

Hey Tony,

in the market for a Nissan gasket and plugged the above part#11044-R1005 in at courtesy nissan and they are about 50$, so you better order some.

Now I searched the Nissan # 11044-E4620 for my 240 and it's 150$. Not sure why their is a big difference unless the 240 gasket is made up of a different material.

I actually plugged in the number today and they were 40$!!!

I wish I knew if I could use them on my p-30 block. The description on the gasket I ordered does specify that it is a Nismo high performance composite type head gasket---FANCY! the 40$ gasket has no such description

The head gasket I listed was a late-model L20ET unit. The bores are oval. If you have the stock L24 bores, the fire ring will be cutting across the edges of the cylinders and hanging in the combustion chamber.

It is only for the L20A bore, with the larger diameter of the 'oval' apparently for people who want to install L28 Valves into the small bore L20A...and then consequently relieve the hell out of the block for clearance!

It's an L20A - only part. Sorry!

The head gasket I listed was a late-model L20ET unit. The bores are oval. If you have the stock L24 bores, the fire ring will be cutting across the edges of the cylinders and hanging in the combustion chamber.

It is only for the L20A bore, with the larger diameter of the 'oval' apparently for people who want to install L28 Valves into the small bore L20A...and then consequently relieve the hell out of the block for clearance!

It's an L20A - only part. Sorry!

$35 each

FWIW, I generally get around equal pricing locally from the Nissan dealership here (with my Z club discount) to what's available from nissanparts.cc.

Edited by Jehannum