HybridZ

Rust repair: Trapezoid panel behind strut assembly

Hey everyone, I am looking to replace the trapezoid shaped panel that is located behind the front strut assembly. This is on a 72' 240z. This piece seems to be fairly important and holes have been slowly growing in both the passenger and driver's side. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the panel that they made to replace this piece. I have been trying for a few days to design the panel out of one piece of metal, but I cant seem to get it just right. I have also tried making a few angled cuts but im not sure if they will be strong enough. Does this panel need to be one piece (It would be easier if it was)? I have some proper thickness 5X10" rectangles cut out to make this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elliot

I'm not sure, but I think you're going to have to use a hammer to shape/stretch the metal into shape. Or just get one from a parts car.

I have a feeling you're going to find a lot more rust than just what you see though...

Edited by rturbo 930

heres a pic of what i did. basically i clean/cut all the rust away sealed it and cut a panel bigger that the area. i used a cardboard template to get the right size. thne starting at the corner tack welded and formed the panel to fit the curve as i went along.post-2361-090426100 1310528715_thumb.jpg

Edited by bodie