HybridZ

Leon's 260Z

your car is so awesome! Definitley a different route than I plan to take my car... But I forsee our cars running together at some point :rolleyes:

Thanks! Hopefully it will be back on the road in a reasonable amount of time. Yeah, right... :lol:

• 1 month later...

I believe the Fidanza units are 10.8 pounds. This is compared to a stock flywheel which weighs in at something like 25lb!

Thats awesome! I bet it'll rev super quickly now. I'm planning on getting the azc 12lb forged one, but maybe I can find a lighter one for not too much money. haha ya it's gonna make a huge difference!

Thats awesome! I bet it'll rev super quickly now. I'm planning on getting the azc 12lb forged one, but maybe I can find a lighter one for not too much money. haha ya it's gonna make a huge difference!

It should definitely be noticeable. I plan to put in a new clutch and transmission mount in the process. I will also be swapping out my 280Z 5-speed in favor of a 280ZX close-ratio unit I have sitting around. Time to find a chunk of time to do this, I think that is more difficult then actually doing the rest of the work!

It should definitely be noticeable. I plan to put in a new clutch and transmission mount in the process. I will also be swapping out my 280Z 5-speed in favor of a 280ZX close-ratio unit I have sitting around. Time to find a chunk of time to do this, I think that is more difficult then actually doing the rest of the work!

I hear great things about light flywheels and always wanted one in my mini so it will happen with the z for sure. haha its the opposite for me. I have too much time, money is what I lack haha. but if I sell the mini then that will change. I want a zx 5 speed!

I hear great things about light flywheels and always wanted one in my mini so it will happen with the z for sure. haha its the opposite for me. I have too much time, money is what I lack haha. but if I sell the mini then that will change. I want a zx 5 speed!

It's always one or the other, with $ and time! If you have both, you are a lucky man. Lightweight flywheels are a fantastic upgrade, I may have to devote a weekend to get this done. I'll be ordering a new transmission mount (hopefully ridding myself of some high-speed drivetrain vibration), clutch and clutch master (just in case) tonight. I should also take a look at the shifter bushings while in there.

If you want the 280Z 5-speed I can sell it to you cheap, I don't feel like storing it once I swap over to my ZX unit.

It's always one or the other, with $ and time! If you have both, you are a lucky man. Lightweight flywheels are a fantastic upgrade, I may have to devote a weekend to get this done. I'll be ordering a new transmission mount (hopefully ridding myself of some high-speed drivetrain vibration), clutch and clutch master (just in case) tonight. I should also take a look at the shifter bushings while in there.

If you want the 280Z 5-speed I can sell it to you cheap, I don't feel like storing it once I swap over to my ZX unit.

Yes, yes it is! But there is always work that needs to be done that doesn't cost anything in parts, so I find myself doing that kind of thing a lot haha. Yes from what I understand they are. It's funny seeing the difference with modding Z's vs. modding mini's, with the mini people always say to not get too light of a flywheel because then the car isn't street-able. With Z's, everyone seems to just get the lightest they can. I haven't decided if I'll go with the AZC one or a lighter one... Still unsure. Are there any stiffer trans/engine mounts that are made for the Z's? I've heard them mentioned, but I've searched google and here and still haven't come up with any that are made... I love the urethane ones I put into my mini.

I might take you up on that! I'll get more details in PM.

Urethane engine mounts are available from Mckinney motorsport. I think they are listed in the vendors forum here.

Leon PMed me that too, forgot to thank you though! so thank you! I will be getting those for my car.

Finally! :D

101_0216.jpg

sweet! looks like a nice piece. Are you going to get the special bolts from mcmaster carr?

Ah, thanks for reminding me! I completely forgot about that!

haha you know that's got to be the main reason I've decided against getting an alu flywheel for my build, I would constantly worry about the flywheel, and I'd want to pull the engine every 5,000 miles to check the bolts haha. Plus it seems to me like people are always worried about the alu flys shearing. (why is everyone so afraid of this? I've never heard of anything like that before coming to this site.)

"Are you going to get the special bolts from mcmaster carr?"

Please enlighten me on these. I have that same fidanza lightened flywheel.

Apparently, the holes in the flywheel for the pressure plate are not tapped deep enough for the stock bolts. If this happens, you must use shorter bolts in order to make sure that the pressure plate is clamped down properly.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/57299-ordered-a-105lb-fidanza-flywheel/

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/100321-fidanza-flywheel-act-clutch-install-and-pedal-mods/

Apparently, the holes in the flywheel for the pressure plate are not tapped deep enough for the stock bolts. If this happens, you must use shorter bolts in order to make sure that the pressure plate is clamped down properly.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/57299-ordered-a-105lb-fidanza-flywheel/

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/100321-fidanza-flywheel-act-clutch-install-and-pedal-mods/

I was trying to find that first thread, that was the one I was referring to, but I for some reason couldn't find it.