HybridZ

1974 starter relay?

My trouble started sort of like a hit and miss, the starter works fine. But when going to start sometimes it wont do anything, I believe the issue is a relay under the glove box, or a reset-able fuse? If i try and start the car every once in a while it would work, and sometimes all power to everything would turn off. I might end up just putting in a start switch, but I would rather have the key actually work.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I know its not the starter because when its jumped it works fine.

Thanks for any help!

When you go to start and it doesn't turn over, do you hear a click from the engine bay? If so, the cause is likely bad electrical connections not getting enough voltage to the solenoid. S30s never had a starter relay but you can install one to make the switch functional again. Search for "260Z starter relay" on google and you'll find the solution.

My 260Z had the same problem, clicks when you turn the key but sometimes it actually works. Jumping the starter worked every time so I installed a relay and it's good as new!

The ground cable was bad, changed that. But the key still won't do anything. No noise at all when I try to start it. The car starts fine when I jump the starter. I also have the ignition hooked up to a togle switch so the key doesnt need to be on for it to run.

The key switch doesn't do anything anymore, it did but just in the last few hours the key won't even turn lights on or anything.