HybridZ

WTB 76 280z air flow meter

ll77

Hi everyone,

I have a mismatched AFM and I'm in the market for the right one.

MSA tells me the right one for 76 is part no. a31-060-001

But I'm nervous that the ECU could have been swapped too, since the PO messed around a lot.

So if you can offer insight into which AFM will function properly with ECU part no. a11-600-000, please do and I'd appreciate it.

If not, then I'm looking for a31-060-001 please, thank you.

EDIT: Part no. has been confirmed to be a match. Thanks newzed.

Oh yes, and please NO REBUILT AFM's.

Edited by ll77

That is the right ECU number for 1976. What is the number for your current AFM? It might not be mismatched for the ECU. For example, Nissan changed the part number for 1978 AFMs to show no fuel pump contact switch but but some of them still have the parts. 1978 has the same ECU number, but a different AFM number.

What problem are you trying to solve?

1978 used the same ECU so the AFMs are probably not that different. Maybe Nissan tuned the spring tension differently for emissions or use with EGR. I had a 1978 with AFM # A31-604-000 and the same A11-600-000 ECU that my 1976 had.

There are only a few circuits in the AFM, the potentiometer circuit that tells the ECU how much air is passing through, the air temperature sensor and the fuel pump contact switch. Getting the right parts together is a worthy goal but "running rich" is a common problem and has many causes. You might check the other reasons for running rich before you go too far though. Fuel pressure control, temperature sensors, TPS adjustment, etc. Here is a thread from classiczcar that tells a story - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?42574-MPG-timing-fuel-and . He had a similar dilemma.

1975-1977 are your best candidates for finding the right AFM part number. Check the glue blob under the cover to see if it's been tampered with. It's very common for people to get inside and muck around with the spring tension for "tuning" purposes.

Fuel pressure seemed to be a little high, I replaced the pressure regulator and there were no kinks or clogs. Fuel pump had been replaced a while back, so my conclusion was the gauge was off a bit haha. So I did all that just for good measure I guess.

TPS was professionally adjusted, although I can't hear a difference with it disconnected. I went through the EFI manual circuit tests, everything ok. I went to a CA gold shield certified station and they said my AFM wasn't doing its job right, so I am convinced it's the AFM. I have adjusted the wheel to the leaner side, and it did feel better, but it still wasn't passing. Also, mine is one of those rebuilt MSA ones and all I've heard is that those are bad news.

But thanks for the link.

If anyone has one, please let me know.

Edited by ll77

what are the hc, co, c02,nox readings?

`

where is the original afm? afm's rarely go bad. most get out of adjustment

by people changing the spring settings.

i wouldn't rely on advice from a smog tech. he probably has never worked on a z

engine.

`

Edited by greghassen

HC and NOx were well within limits, CO was through the roof, Co2 was 11.9% @ 15 mph and 12.2% @ 25 mph

I have no clue where the original one is, and I have no clue why the PO would swap in the wrong one for it. My worst fear is if I get one and it doesn't fix the problem. Strange thing is, it passed with flying colors 9 yrs ago, back when it was still an automatic..

Edited by ll77

Also, mine is one of those rebuilt MSA ones and all I've heard is that those are bad news.

I'm curious about what you heard about the MSA rebuilt AFMs. What did you hear and who did you hear it from? There aren't that many sources for rebuilt AFMs. MSA'a are actually rebuilt by Fuel Injection corporation, whoever that is.

I have a couple for a 76, one is good and one I am not sure on. The one that is good may be a remanufactured one, because I bought it thinking it was my problem and then found out later that it was because some mechanic put on a carberated intake manifold gasket vice the fuel injected one.

what are the hc, co, c02,nox readings?

`

where is the original afm? afm's rarely go bad. most get out of adjustment

by people changing the spring settings.

i wouldn't rely on advice from a smog tech. he probably has never worked on a z

engine.

`

I stand by your comment that the smog tech may have ZERO knowledge of a Zcar. Very well said.

Hi everyone,

I have a mismatched AFM and I'm in the market for the right one.

MSA tells me the right one for 76 is part no. a31-060-001

But I'm nervous that the ECU could have been swapped too, since the PO messed around a lot.

So if you can offer insight into which AFM will function properly with ECU part no. a11-600-000, please do and I'd appreciate it.

If not, then I'm looking for a31-060-001 please, thank you.

EDIT: Part no. has been confirmed to be a match. Thanks newzed.

Oh yes, and please NO REBUILT AFM's.

I have a good used one for your 76 Z-car as i have owned several 76 Z's and they are the ones i've worked on extensively. You can get back if interested @ mwsilkmike23@gmail.com. Cheers.

Sorry, I don't want a rebuilt/ remanufactured one. I would prefer one from JECS, but I am flexible on that.

Sorry i don't have pics on the air flow i e/mailed you about, however like i said i'm an ex-Z tech and have worked extensively on that year of 76 and owned several of them.The numbers you posted match up. If it's a go let me know and i'll ship it.