HybridZ

Dalton's 260Z

Hey guys, I picked up my first Z, and car number 3 for me. A 1989 Camaro RS, a 1987 Camaro IROC-Z 350, and a 1974 Datsun 260Z. It's a early 74 260Z, bought it for $1300 from JSM here on Hybrid Z. Car has little rust, perfect for my plans. Right now it has a 280Z L28 swap, that had a turbo put on it. Wiring is pretty beat up and may just need a whole new harness. I'm super happy with it and already anxious to drive it. This weekend I'm ordering a 8 ball shifter knob, fender mirrors, and a buddy of mine is coming over tomorrow to check out the wiring and see what needs to be done to get it running.

She's got a 4 speed manual, and I'm assuming the R180 rear diff. Missing some interior plastics, but over all is in good shape all over. Has a full 3in turbo back exhaust, extra steel welded onto the frame rails, and other odds and ends. My first question is, what engine harness would I need for this motor? I don't remember reading that there was a 280Z that was turboed from factory, but enlighten me if that's not true. Will post other questions and progress as time goes on.

The plan is a 6.0 LSx swap, T-56, and make 400-500 WHP. Starting to get it what I want to look like now, and will save for drivetrain parts as well. Some pics below.

IMG_20110828_165638.jpg

IMG_20110828_160711.jpg

IMG_20110828_160726.jpg

IMG_5802.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

Edited by Dalton

Hey that trailer looks familiar! ;) Lock set is on the front porch.

The harness is an 81 280zxt. The 260z were not fuel injected from the factory, nor turbo.

The swap is based on this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/34469-a-quick-fi-and-ignition-280zxt-to-s30-turbo-swap-guide/

There is a ton of info in this. I would go through every connection in the thread and compare it to what is in the car. That is where I would start.

Keep checking the JY regularly and if I see any when I go I'll let you know.

Awesome man, thanks a lot for the extra info. Me and a buddy are gonna go though the whole harness tomorrow. If it's just too far gone to be saved, I'm just gonna pick up a new one. Will be on the look out in the local JYs as well.

Just a side note, JSM was a REALLY AWESOME guy to deal with, guy is super friendly.

Edited by Dalton

Well, I haven't gotten the new locks in yet. I'm having trouble getting the last to nuts off. Looks like they may be rivets, there's no screw head or socket head. No idea what to do.

I found a rust hole in the Z today. A little disappointing, but I'm still happy with the car. It's a easy fix.

IMG_20110903_121908.jpg

I'm still throwing around the idea of a RB26DETT swap, LSx swap, or buying another L28, and stroking it to 3.1, and turboing it. Not sure yet. I have the look I want down.

Although, I like the 240Z tails better, are they a direct swap? Or are the holes not the correct size and require cutting? I can't tell.

If you need anything I have 2 parts cars(73+78) sitting around. Let me know any we can work something out. I'm Just outside Tampa.

Oh cool. I need parts for sure. I'm missing some interior pieces. I'll PM you when I get ready to buy.

What part of the car is that hole in? I did not see that before at all. Is that behind the seat?

And what other inside pieces you missing? If I have them I'll give them to you.

You must be refering to the bolts that hold the ignition on? Take a dremel carefully cut a small slot in the heads. Then use a flat blade screw driver and unscrew them.

Edited by JSM

You must be refering to the bolts that hold the ignition on? Take a dremel carefully cut a small slot in the heads. Then use a flat blade screw driver and unscrew them.

I used a flat-head screwdriver and a hammer, no dremel required!

What part of the car is that hole in? I did not see that before at all. Is that behind the seat?

And what other inside pieces you missing? If I have them I'll give them to you.

Yeah, behind the passenger seat, in the tool/jack stowage compartment. No big deal for me, easy fix. I have plenty of friends who know how to weld.

The only panel I'm missing is the one directly to the right of the passenger seat, under the small window, behind the door. I'll take a picture and post it.

I used a flat-head screwdriver and a hammer, no dremel required!

Haha, good thing, I don't have a dremel. I'll try that tonight.

Not a direct swap, but not a hard swap, I don't think. It's been done before. I can tell you that it definitely requires cutting, and maybe welding.

No big deal, I might just keep these tails anyway, there growing on me.

Little update for the car, I've decided to build a L28, I want to be in the 400-450 WHP range. My friend is selling the complete A/C system off his 280Z, so I'm probably going to pick that up as well.

Did some work on it today, put oil in the motor, water in the radiator, battery, and tried to see if she would start. All I got was the clicking of the starter, so we are thinking start is bad, as well as no fuel. Going to try that either over the course of the week, or this weekend.

Another update, good friend of mine bought a 240Z, with a carbed L28. I'm buying everything needed to swap a carb system back into the car for $300. I'm ditching the EFI for now, not really interested in messing with it. Should get the parts pretty soon and will have the EFI and turbo parts up for sale soon as well.

You sure you don't want to try messing with it first? Let me know, maybe I could swing by one weekend.

We are going to, but the carbs are a back-up option. I personally would rather get the EFI working, I want the turbo in the car, but I'm too anxious to drive it lol. If you wanna stop by your more than welcome to. Shoot me a text, or call me. Me and a friend are probably going to mess with it some this week, but most of the work gets done on the weekend. We'll see what happens, going to get the starter checked out today, just gotta pull it. I'm also thinking I'm not getting fuel to the motor as well, not sure if there is even any gas in the tank, might be a good idea to put some in there first. Lol.

On another note, how do you guys get the battery to mount in the stock tray? Or better yet, how did they mount stock?

Also, a friend of mine has a shop next to some guys who build cages for cars, he's good friends with them, and I got a quote for $800 for a 6 point cage, with provisions to mount racing harnesses. I wouldn't do it until I got the car running and driving. What do you guys think?

I'm probably going to pick up the J-Spec body kit from the Z store next pay check.

There have a been a few threads around the Z sites recently about the common "clicking starter" problem in the 260Z. You might search the words 260z starter relay and Ford, either here, on Google or at a few of the other sites (there are definitely some threads on it at zcar.com) before you pull the starter out. Apparently the 260Z is known for losing some voltage on the way from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Another way to test the starter and solenoid directly is to jump it from the battery right at the starter. You can do this before you pull the starter too.

Might save you some time.

There have a been a few threads around the Z sites recently about the common "clicking starter" problem in the 260Z. You might search the words 260z starter relay and Ford, either here, on Google or at a few of the other sites (there are definitely some threads on it at zcar.com) before you pull the starter out. Apparently the 260Z is known for losing some voltage on the way from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Another way to test the starter and solenoid directly is to jump it from the battery right at the starter. You can do this before you pull the starter too.

Might save you some time.

Cool, I'll look that up. Thanks.

Remeber the car sat in my garage for a year, and then at the guys house I got it from for at least a year. I would dump the tank for sure.

I would definitely test the starter from the solenoid before removing.

What time Saturday?

Anytime really. Just shoot me a text. Me and a friend will get under it , and pull the tank.

Another question I had was, I assume the original L26 had a clutch fan, correct? The fan that was in this car was hitting the crank pulley, and it seems as if the car as started like this, as the fan has a spot where the casing had been ground down from something rubbing against it. The far is hard wired in. I'm assuming I will need to use a smaller hard wired fan?

Edited by Dalton

To be honest, no idea.

I have an orignal fan if you like (mechanical). I just got to find it.

Did you find a clam shell? I think I have one of those too if you didn't buy one yet.

What else did you need?

I'll wire in a smaller one, it's no big deal. Haven't gotten a clam shell, I still gotta take a pic of the only interior piece I'm missing. Friend of mine is buying a 240Z parts car with a L28 and a 5-speed tomorrow. So Between mine, and his Z were going to strip it for parts.

Small update, got some good Supra 440cc injectors for $40 today.

Always base the cage on what type of racing you wan't to do, not on cost. Find out the cage rules for the class you want to run in and then see if the builder can make it.

If you want it just for the added saftey factor then it doesn't matter as much.