HybridZ

Nissan Close ratio VS Borg Warner

280z"Vador"

Hi, I did broke my third tranny of the year this week-end and I think that would be the time to upgrade :D The fact is that I'm running these weak early 5 speed tranny and it seems that the fifth gear is having fun exploding all the time ;)

right now, I'm runing a l28et with 13psi with the stock T3 (FMIC, MS2, 3inch exhaust from DP to the back, head and block planned and 0,020 overbore...). I don't plan to make biggers numbers in a near futur and so is a Borg warner really better than the weak stock 280z tranny?

My other question is : I found someone with a Nissan Competition 32010-N3200 (well actually this is the number that he gave me but I will re-talk to him to make sure that it is the right one because he's saying that it is a short ratio one...) Do you think that the Nissan Competition Tranny can hold the power better than the weak stock 5 speed tranny? Is it as good as the Borg Warner?

Well, thx in advance for your help

Nismo boxes are strong were used on the IMSA (400+) racers but! no longer produced so if you brake it or it needs work no joy on parts also check which option 1,2 3 all were stacked diff. I dont have my old nismo cat handy to tell you which but I WOULD HAVE SOMONE IN THE KNOW TO CHECK IT OUT TO SEE IF ITS IN GOOD SHAPE IF THE SYNCROS ARE GOING YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY LUCK FINDING A REPLACEMENT. Most of them had a 1-1 5th ratio not over drive so wont be useful on the street.

Nismo boxes are strong were used on the IMSA (400+) racers but! no longer produced so if you brake it or it needs work no joy on parts also check which option 1,2 3 all were stacked diff. I dont have my old nismo cat handy to tell you which but I WOULD HAVE SOMONE IN THE KNOW TO CHECK IT OUT TO SEE IF ITS IN GOOD SHAPE IF THE SYNCROS ARE GOING YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY LUCK FINDING A REPLACEMENT. Most of them had a 1-1 5th ratio not over drive so wont be useful on the street.

Well, from what I understand, there is a "nismo" wide ratio (wich is exactly the same ratios as me), the short ratio (the two first gears are different) and 3 or 4 more trannys with option in them. If it's really the N3200, it should be the Short Ratio (so with an overdrive) and there is no "options" in it? So what is the difference in solidity in that tranny over a stock 280z one (She is supposed to have Warner type syncros but other than that?)? I'm so confused because the ones with options (direct drive) are probably different inside but this one with the same 3 last gear ratio, what is different from a stock one?

And for the KA swap, I don't know... Maybe just a Borg Warner is less complicated (or a nissan comp. if it's something that I should consider)

Here's my more detailed write-up of the 240SX swap:

http://www.motortopia.com/album/14041

The later S14 boxes are much beefier than the ZX boxes, are full syncro including reverse, and second gear has a dual cone syncro. These transmissions are much easier to come by than the ZX, BW or Nissan comp boxes. With the BW box, you still have to modify the transmission mount and driveshaft. The machining to a ZX bellhousing to make the SX gears work is fairly minor, and you only have to do it once. If you do break something, you can just swap the bellhousing to another gearset.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Well, it seems that the KA swap is a better option that I was thinking but still, I would like to know what is the difference between the Standard Nissan Competition Tranny (with no options) and the stock one? Is it only the synchros that are Warner type?

From my understanding, the short ratio (without option) is a non-US tranny and thats it... Nothing special in it but a tranny that was offered everywhere in the world (but not in america) in a stock s30z. Someone can confirm this?

Per NISMO cat W/R OD trany 32010-N3130 1=2.906 2= 1.902 3= 1.308 4= 1.0 5=0.864

C/R OD trany 32010-N3030 1=3.321 2= 2.077 3= 1.308 4= 1.0 5=0.864

All others are 5=1.0 also the "racing boxes" have a diff shift pattern 1st is toward you and down, reverse is toward you and up in the normal 1st position, syncros are stright cut which aids in speed shifting,the bearings are beefier, both systems use the servo (steel type) syncros.

Per NISMO cat W/R OD trany 32010-N3130 1=2.906 2= 1.902 3= 1.308 4= 1.0 5=0.864

C/R OD trany 32010-N3030 1=3.321 2= 2.077 3= 1.308 4= 1.0 5=0.864

All others are 5=1.0 also the "racing boxes" have a diff shift pattern 1st is toward you and down, reverse is toward you and up in the normal 1st position, syncros are stright cut which aids in speed shifting,the bearings are beefier, both systems use the servo (steel type) syncros.

Well since I'm blowing the gears and not synchro's or bearings, if the Nismo have the same weak and thin ones, I'm gonna put something else...

There's always the z32 option as well. It's definitely overkill for your current setup, but it will hold more power that 95% of us will every pump through an L!

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/54141-z32-trans-to-l6-block-version-2/

Well the z32 is the ultimate setup!! But I think a s14 one or a Borg Warner will be appropriate with my setup :P