HybridZ

exhaust overrun growl

duragg

What causes that Growl during shifting when you let off the gas?

My new motor does it a little, some do it a LOT, especially some of the Rebello cars I listen to on the internets.

Under acceleration then you shift and as the motor winds down there is a growly "BaAaaaa"

Probably not explaining well. I like that sound.

My next exhaust will be bigger diameter looking for a deeper sound.

Currenly have 6-1 headers then a blown out 18" sausage and straight pipe to the back.

I had my twice pipes built by a really good local exhaust guy who runs his own shop. That sound has a lot to do with the type of muffler(s) you're using. Glasspacks tend to do the trick. You're going to love the sound!

Funny I was just watching your videos before I placed the order.

My system now is some crappy 2" stuff with a glasspack in the middle and nothing else but straight pipe out the back.

I should have MSA kit with dual glass packs here tomorrow and will probably just let a local exhaust shop put it on.

So you still like the sound?

I drive the car about 3 times a month when I want to consume pure Carbon Monoxide so I want it to be loud enough to penetrate the CO induced hypoxia.

Your system have the Dynomax superturbo muffler? Is is loud enough?

They were out of stock on the 2.5 system or I probably would have gone that way.

Twice pipes will be fun to try and I can get it all installed prior to the big show in Phoenix this weekend.

For the money I just don't see how one can go wrong with any of them.

Funny I was just watching your videos before I placed the order.

My system now is some crappy 2" stuff with a glasspack in the middle and nothing else but straight pipe out the back.

I should have MSA kit with dual glass packs here tomorrow and will probably just let a local exhaust shop put it on.

So you still like the sound?

I drive the car about 3 times a month when I want to consume pure Carbon Monoxide so I want it to be loud enough to penetrate the CO induced hypoxia.

I love the sound, it's actually hard for me to keep it below 3500rpm just because I want to hear that sweet roar! I have two glasspacks in each pipe, so it's relatively docile on the freeway and around town, but good luck hearing anything else as soon as I open it up. The MSA twice pipes have one (perforated) glasspack per pipe. Loud probably won't begin to describe it! :lol:

Oh, and post a video up after you get them installed!

The difference between you're current setup and the MSA twice pipes is glasspack location. The dB may not change much, but you might get more drone at cruising speeds. For a long time I envisioned getting the MSA twice pipes, but as close as I got to the getting them, I never pulled the trigger mostly because the rear valence must be cut for the tips to fit the stock location.

I had the exhaust builder install twin 2" pipes with slash-cut vertically-stacked tips at the back (à la 432), 4 total glasspacks, and 2 O2 bungs all for $300! I definitely could not beat that value, anywhere. One-man shop with 40 years of experience gets the job done right and done quick. Hell, I gave him a $20 tip at the end!

Edited by Leon

Twice pipes being installed as we speak at the exhaust shop.

Removing a 2" crush-bend straght through with a single blown out 18" cherry bomb in the center.

Installing MSA Twice Pipes which by rough calculations will have nearly double the CSA or the old single tweaker pipe.

Curious to see how this impacts my header temperatures with improved flow.

Doubt they will run any hotter than they do now..

The cross-sectional area will increase by about 1.5 times and your exhaust temps might drop a tiny bit, but very unlikely that it will be noticeable. AFR and ignition timing affect EGT more than anything else.

With that said, we will absolutely need a video once you get it back! :D

I'd love to hear it under load, and how it differs from mine.

Edited by Leon

My car does that, and does it MUCH more so now that I am not running a glasspack in the tunnel. I didn't notice it with the stock manifold, first picked up on it with the old MSA header I had, with glasspack in the tunnel and turbo style muffler out back, now it's RIGHT THERE with the new Stahl weld-up header and chambered muffler out back.

VROOOOOMMMmmuummmmmmmmmumumummm is the sound I get now, rev/decel. I love it.

I'm not loving the new sound. but need to retune the webers altogether.

Its still loud, maybe a slightly more muffled sound to the loud if that makes sense.

AFRs are much leaner.

Reduced back pressure?

Lower ambient air temps? (70f today)

For one or both reasons the AFR is about 1 to 1.5 points leaner in all regimes.

And I am getting even more exhaust popping at idle, but I think that lean exhaust pops (13.5 - 14).

Before I was right at about 12.5 at idle.

They have a neat "dual" sound to them.

Its just going to take some work to get the DCOEs back in sync with the Twice's.

A friend did a drive past me at full power and WOW, that sucker is loud.

Keith Frank from Yahoo Group "Sidedraft CEntral" is helping me with the dial in.

I've been tuning to that old exhaust for so many years that this new setup is just a total do-over.

Posting a video today.