HybridZ

Crane Xr3000 stable vs, HEI?

duragg

We had conventional distributor in our racer (magnetic trigger) with 45 DCOE's and ran it to over 7500rpms.

When we went to ITB's we went to a magnetic trigger which was installed in the stock distributor---the smaller wheel in there was good to 8500 rpms (so they said) and as long as we ran the engine below that point, we never had any issues with spark scatter.

When we went above 9500 on the L20A, then we started having reliability issues with the spark. Went to true crank-trigger (basically a bigger wheel) and the issues resolved themselves---same system, different trigger point. The MAGNETIC triggers need spacing between the 'peaks' to get a readable signal in the ECU. The opticals work faster and the circuitry is faster so a larger diameter wheel doesn't do much for you other than allow you to use cheaper components and processors in the ECU (think OEM...)

With what JeffP found on the conversion of the optical trigger from the Z32 put into a conventional distributor...I think we could have kept it there and not messed with the hassle of making a crank-trigger bracket.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From maybe 2000 up the timing marks starts to jump around quite a bit.

Much higher rpm is steadies a little bit, but not rock solid.[/i][/b]

Sorry to be a bit late. Are you still running a vacuum advance? If so, that is most likely the cause of this jumping around. Even if you're not running vacuum advance, take the distributor a part and tack weld the vacuum advance plate so it doesn't move.

Pulled and inspected dizzy and everything is tight.

Vac advanced plate is fixed. No movement possible.

What I did notice is the mechanical advande slot on one side is welded to limit advance, but the other slot is not. So one weight has additional advance it could go if not for the weld on the other side.

Perhaps at certain rpm the lack of constraint of one weight is causing vibration of the other and making the scatter I am seeing.

Look closely in the picture below, the slot to the upper left has a small "thing" limiting the centrifugal advance.

But the slot to the bottom right does not have any limit.

I see no reason not to weld both and recut the slots to precisely the same length to give the total advance range I want.

Lots of articles on the internets about timing bounce.

I think this is (one of) my problem.

Perfectly stable until near the centrifugal "all-in" point. Then bouncy.

INcreasing further RPM past that and the bouncy lessens (as centrifugal force exerts more control).

Soon it will be known.

post-1894-009281900 1319166778_thumb.jpg

Edited by duragg

Look closely in the picture below, the slot to the upper left has a small "thing" limiting the centrifugal advance.

But the slot to the bottom right does not have any limit.

I see no reason not to weld both and recut the slots to precisely the same length to give the total advance range I want.

Lots of articles on the internets about timing bounce.

I think this is (one of) my problem.

Perfectly stable until near the centrifugal "all-in" point. Then bouncy.

INcreasing further RPM past that and the bouncy lessens (as centrifugal force exerts more control).

Soon it will be known.

post-1894-009281900 1319166778_thumb.jpg

It looks the same as the distributor in our car. It seems to be that way from the factory.

Hard to see in the picture, but one slot is closed down a bit and the other is standard length.

So when the first peg gets to full advance, the second is still being TuggeD on by the other weight.

Uneven tugging on the centrifugal advance cannot make timing any MORE stable.

Hard to see in the picture, but one slot is closed down a bit and the other is standard length.

So when the first peg gets to full advance, the second is still being TuggeD on by the other weight.

Uneven tugging on the centrifugal advance cannot make timing any MORE stable.

They slots are supposed to be different. See page EE-32 in the service manual.

EE-32 Engine Electrical.pdf

It might not help timing stability, but it is factory.

This is all standard distributor stuff. Polishing of centrifugal weight working ramps, using 'sticky' grease to smooth the advance, altering the weight/spring tension/slot/peg to limit advance/retard...

The bouncing will happen as a function of inertia and the springs working against it.

The way to get around it, is to go fully digital. That's it. Any mechanical timing device will have a range of advance that is there depending on which point you are at--there is only narrowing the range. You will not make it rock steady unless the mechanical action is eliminated completely.

They slots are supposed to be different. See page EE-32 in the service manual.

EE-32 Engine Electrical.pdf

It might not help timing stability, but it is factory.

Those pictures are all a "dual points" dizzy.

I have a single points dizzy. Would like to compare FSM pictures of the two.

FSM says they have different centrifugal system.

Pictures.

The weights. Except for different springs seem identical.

post-1894-095825600 1319212821_thumb.jpg

The shaft. Yes, by design it has different slots.

But somebody has welded the shorter slot shorter.

post-1894-018546200 1319212817_thumb.jpg

My issue with this is that when the first weight hits its stop, the other weight is free to continue tugging on the arm.

It can't go far, but it can probably bounce around enough to making the timing dance a bit.

post-1894-073370700 1319212810_thumb.jpg

Machine shop has the parts and they are going to weld and recut so the slots are both equal.

Both weights will be on their stops when the advance is all-in.

If (or when) this doesn't help or make it worse you an all laugh at me and say "we told you so noobs".

Edited by duragg

Machined the slots in the advance for perfectly equaly engagement at the limit of advance.

Didn't do a darn thing.

Timing mark still dances above 3000rpm.

Maybe they all do that??

Its dead nuts steady just below that RPM.

My motor man says the Crane XR3000 is a POS.

He is right a lot more than I am.

So maybe I will just buy a Pertronix and give that a whirl.

I still find it odd that the timing would start dancing like a light switch at a certain higher RPM.

Why do I need any centrifugal advance at all?

This is a Rat-racer driven 5 times a month, mostly all at 3000+ RPM and full throttle.

A little cruising and idling around.

It stinks, full of holes, stripped interior, NOT a daily drive.

If it is hard to start... even better.

Running 50/50 100LL and 91 octane fuel.

Do I need it for starting? or for pinging reduction?

Educate me please.

Why do I need any centrifugal advance at all?

This is a Rat-racer driven 5 times a month, mostly all at 3000+ RPM and full throttle.

A little cruising and idling around.

It stinks, full of holes, stripped interior, NOT a daily drive.

If it is hard to start... even better.

Running 50/50 100LL and 91 octane fuel.

Do I need it for starting? or for pinging reduction?

Educate me please.

The only reason I can think of for reataining the spark advance is for starting. I have considered fixing mine as well. On the race track the RPM is high enough the advance is always all-in.

A crank triggered system would end the problem but some race group rules prohibit them.