HybridZ

Transmission hard to shift into first and grinds going into reverse - Need help!

Recently I picked up an early 260z, it runs and drives great, but lately i have been having an issue with the transmission.

My problem is the transmission is hard to get into first gear and has started grinding when shifting into reverse.

I drained and replaced the transmissions gear lube two days ago when I bought the car.

Is this a common problem with the Z cars? And what should I be looking for to remedy this issue!

Thanks

It sounds like the clutch is dragging. Is your difficulty going into first gear only when stopped? If so, check the clutch master cylinder for correct fluid level. If the fluid is ok then you might need bleed the clutch system or possibly replace (or rebuild) the master and slave cylinders.

likely you need to replace the synchros. 1st and reverse are common ones to go bad. If you have a 4 speed, it's likely cheaper to swap in a good used one. I've given away good 4 speeds.

I would check clutch hydraulics way before even thinking about synchros. I second Pete and Jon; check fluid first, check master and slave cylinders, and bleed the system whether you replace hydraulics or not.