HybridZ

Homemade FLCA's

Got my coilovers mocked up last night, and it's looking like the front has a LOT of camber. Just eyeballing it looks like around -6 degrees. And camber plates aren't going to take all of that out. I don't really want to run more than a degree or two in the front.

Now, Techno Toy Tuning makes adjustables, for $325, but I'm on somewhat of a budget build. I've heard of people building their own, so I looked in the FAQ Suspension thread.

Found these:

frontLCAprepcomparison.jpg

frontLCAcompleted1.jpg

Looks simple enough to make. I'm just curious where to source the endlink that screws on the threaded rod. Looks like a pillowball/ball joint of sorts, and I've never seen something like that at a hardware store.

My other thought was to take the control arm off, cut a 1/2" section out of the middle, re-weld it with some support, and put it back on. From there, you could use the camber plates to make the final adjustments.

Any thoughts? If the ends are easily accessible, I'd lean toward building the adjustables.

Also, does anyone know where to source just a pillowball plate for building a tophat?

Thanks guys!

Pillowball is not a common term for the USA. It's JDM and Australian lingo from what I can tell. Those are 5/8" female rod ends. For the top you want a monoball. If you search google for rod ends and monoball, especially if you add in "circle track" you will find plenty of suppliers.

Just lowering your car should not get you 6 degrees of camber. Not even close. I'm thinking you might have something else going on. Usually a really low Z ends up with 3-4 degrees in the back and 1-2 degrees in the front.

I like the way my control arms were made. The guy who made mine cut the arm just like bjhines did in your pictures, but he didn't cut the top off of the arm. He used a tube that plugged into the end of the arm and plug welded it in several areas, then welded all the way around where the tube hit the stock arm. Then he welded in a threaded bung and used a male rod end. I have no fear that John's arm will hold up just fine, but that is a lot of welding to fill up the arm, and if you start with a larger tube, you don't need to do all of that.

Im on (assuming u are) dc2 coilovers aswell but i dont its at 6 degrees lol

Here's a pic of the front, maybe you can give it a better guess than me. What brand of DC2 coils are you on? I'm interested in how yours is set up.

fd742b59.jpg

I made mine at home. Has seen plenty of action and still working well.

Here's the thread :My link

Yes! Thank you. I like how yours can be adjusted while they're on the car. I'll definitely be doing something similar to that.

Edited by ComicArtist

Im on Fnf's non-adjustables, i cant really tell in your pic because of the lighting. But seems its definately around 4-5 degrees then again im no proffesional at eyeballing. I have T3 weld camber plates for the front and rear (not installed yet). Ill post some pics when i got everything up to speed. I want to get some higher grade coils but this is simply a test run with the fnfs for now.