HybridZ

260z Redline

MkS30

So I've been on the forums for a while, but this is my first time posting. I just bought my first Z about a week ago, and have been tuning it up and getting it ready to be my daily driver while I wait for the insurance card to come in the mail. So i have the original sales brochure for the early 260z and it shows a 7000rpm redline, but the tach in my car or shows 6400rpm red line. So after searching on google, various sites, and the forums on hybrid z, I haven't found anything that has made me particularly confident.

The pictures are first of the brochure, then the picture in that brochure, and then my tachometer.post-23423-087039900 1320045764_thumb.jpgpost-23423-086906400 1320045783_thumb.jpgpost-23423-085040300 1320045793_thumb.jpg

Edited by MkS30
Please Resize Images to: 1024 x 579 pixels or close, before placing on HZ. If you upload them at http://www.picresize.com/ or http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm there is an option to resize them right on the website. Thank You!

So I've been on the forums for a while, but this is my first time posting. I just bought my first Z about a week ago, and have been tuning it up and getting it ready to be my daily driver while I wait for the insurance card to come in the mail. So i have the original sales brochure for the early 260z and it shows a 7000rpm redline, but the tach in my car or shows 6400rpm red line. So after searching on google, various sites, and the forums on hybrid z, I haven't found anything that has made me particularly confident.

The pictures are first of the brochure, then the picture in that brochure, and then my tachometer.post-23423-087039900 1320045764_thumb.jpgpost-23423-086906400 1320045783_thumb.jpgpost-23423-085040300 1320045793_thumb.jpg

For a stock motor, I wouldn't exceed 6500RPM. That is the correct tach. There is really no more power to be had above 5500RPM anyway in a stock configuration.

That doesn't look like the tack in my 260. My yellow line starts at 6500 and redline is 7000. The stock engine will struggle to 7000 there really isn't any benefit except maybe 2-3 shift to keep it in the power band a little better. Power really drops off at 5500 on a stock motor.

Remember the 260 was the bastard Z, it got leftover parts from the 240 and new parts from the 280. So compairing two would be useless with out build dates.

But as stated there is no need to reach the 7k redline in stock form.

Bastard Z is a little harsh don't you think? How about, umm, Hybrid Z, no that's already taken.................

Remember the 260 was the bastard Z, it got leftover parts from the 240 and new parts from the 280. So compairing two would be useless with out build dates.

But as stated there is no need to reach the 7k redline in stock form.

I don't buy this logic. My build date is 12/74. I don't think they would intermingle parts until they ran out, they would put them on a parts shelf and sell them as spares.

The 260Z tach is unique to the model. Electronic ignition was first introduced to the US Z line in the 260Z, thus it got a 3-wire tach similar to the 280Z but with a faceplate similar to a 240Z (yellow at 6500, red at 7000). This means that 280Z tachs are interchangeable with the 260Z, but not the 4-wire 240Z tachs. The 260Z tachs seem more prone to fail, so they often get replaced with 280Z ones. I replaced my 260Z tach with a 280Z unit and kept the 280Z faceplate (yellow at 6000), but that can easily be swapped. That being said and as others mentioned, there is not much point in revving a stock or stock-ish engine that high, they don't have much left above 6k.

Thanks for all the great info! yeah I'd be kind of nervous to rev it all the way to 7000, but the idea of it is pretty cool. Are the L-series engines capable of revving that high, while making power that would justify taking it up that high?

Thanks for all the great info! yeah I'd be kind of nervous to rev it all the way to 7000, but the idea of it is pretty cool. Are the L-series engines capable of revving that high, while making power that would justify taking it up that high?

Yes, with some modifications. Cam, porting, carb & headers will determine where peak power is made. Mine is 6300 rpm. Revs to 7000 happily. And is 3.0L.

"Bastard Z?"

Hmmm,in production from 1973 until 1978 worldwide seems to indicate something must have been right in what they did...

The 280Z was a hacked response to comply with meddlesome US/North American Standards. NORTH AMERICA was the one who got 'The Bastard'---everybody else got a car with skinny bumpers that looked for all intents and purposes like the original 240Z from 1971/72.