HybridZ

Custom Rear Lip

75zcar

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

I am using drywall mud to make the foam form perfect before laying down the fiberglass. It is a far from finished product right now but gives you a nice idea of what should result.

Here is a little update as well of my custom front.

IMG_2325.jpg

Edited by 75zcar

I really like that front. I'm sure the rear will compliment it. Can't wait to see it finished

Thanks!

Ditto on the front--I love the look you are going after. Please post more photos as you progress. Nice work!

Davy

I will post more pics without a doubt. I had a lot of "haters" on the front bumper when I had the idea. I hope posting pics makes them retract there previous statements.

Whats the rear spoiler?

The Victory spoiler if I recall.

Could you take some pictures of the front from further away? It looks cool and I'd like to see it with more of the car in the frame.

Interesting technique - I've never heard of drywall mud for that before. Are you sure that's a good idea under the glass? Normally I think people use foam, glass it, and then use acetone to melt out the foam afterwards. Obviously not going to work on the drywall mud and I'm not sure if that will be a problem later or not.

Could you take some pictures of the front from further away? It looks cool and I'd like to see it with more of the car in the frame.

Interesting technique - I've never heard of drywall mud for that before. Are you sure that's a good idea under the glass? Normally I think people use foam, glass it, and then use acetone to melt out the foam afterwards. Obviously not going to work on the drywall mud and I'm not sure if that will be a problem later or not.

That was my original plan but I couldn't get just the foam to look good. I decided to use the mud for the ease of sanding. I will then tape over the whole lip then fiberglass it. Then I should be able to pull off the fiberglass and remove all foam and mud from car.

The front bumper is a cobra r bumper from a mustang. It is polyurethane and only took very little cutting/fab to get it to where it is now.

I don't have any current pics really of the bumper but here is one from earlier in the build. The grill pictured will not be the one used. The cracks have been fixed and as u can tell from the first pic in post 1 I have cut the sides of the bumpers lip too.

IMG_5297.jpg

Also, yes there is something on the roof. I had an extra hood and a really dented/weak roof, ala double bubble haha. I feel it looks great and looks as if it has always been there and it really stiffened up the roof.

Edited by 75zcar

I think I am going to try that front bumper on my car if you don't mind....I think it will finish up the look of the ZG flares better than what I have. Also the fact it is poly is great! I just can see nice cooling ducts for the brakes and a place to set new HID fog lights. From what you see, think it is possible to still use the stock datsun bumpers? There to me looks like there is still room for it and it might not be a tucked up to the body as it can be but would still look great!

Can't wait to see some more pics of both the back and front. I'd love a quarter shot of that front end. Somehow the mustang lower curves and lip flow well with the Z. I can see the cobra in it now that you mention it, but I would have been hard pressed to pick it out without being told.

I might borrow that idea but use standard cobra or mustang parts instead of the cobra R bits. Frankly the lower lip is a little extreme for the look I'm going for with my car. I want it to look like a factory piece and I think it could be done with a little less lip. I'd also like to do it as a bolt on lower valence replacement but that may be a pipe dream.

EDIT Bingo - this bumper and lip instead of the R package. Perfect!

126539d1207534458-2001-ford-mustang-cobra-svt-74k-miles-houston-tx-small2.jpg

Edited by iBang

Can't wait to see some more pics of both the back and front. I'd love a quarter shot of that front end. Somehow the mustang lower curves and lip flow well with the Z. I can see the cobra in it now that you mention it, but I would have been hard pressed to pick it out without being told.

I might borrow that idea but use standard cobra or mustang parts instead of the cobra R bits. Frankly the lower lip is a little extreme for the look I'm going for with my car. I want it to look like a factory piece and I think it could be done with a little less lip. I'd also like to do it as a bolt on lower valence replacement but that may be a pipe dream.

EDIT Bingo - this bumper and lip instead of the R package. Perfect!

The one you have pictured there is a 99-01 cobra bumper with the 03-04 cobra lip on it. What is a better combo in my opinion is the 99-01 cobra bumper with the mach 1 lip on it. That is a sexy combo!

I also feel that the cobra r lip is what makes it flow with the datsun. As you can see in this picture it has a very similar line to it.

IMG_4691.jpg

The picture is right when I got the flares.

Edited by 75zcar

Those do look nice... That could have a nice agressive look without disrupting the stock flow of the Z's body lines. I may have to go junkyard hopping for a damaged bumper now...

I wonder if anyone makes a fiberglass replica cobra bumper? Given that I would need to cut it up and re-form it anyway, that could be a good option to make it easier to work with. Working with plastic is a pain!

Those do look nice... That could have a nice agressive look without disrupting the stock flow of the Z's body lines. I may have to go junkyard hopping for a damaged bumper now...

I wonder if anyone makes a fiberglass replica cobra bumper? Given that I would need to cut it up and re-form it anyway, that could be a good option to make it easier to work with. Working with plastic is a pain!

There are most definitely fiberglass reproductions out there. Fiberglass and front bumpers are not normally a good combo. Especially on slammed cars! The only cutting you really need to do is like 6 inches off the fender well sides (if that makes sense). Also along the bottum of the \__/ shape.

I was torn with keeping the custom front that was on the car when I purchased it haha. Here is a picture of someone elses creativity.

085.jpg

Edited by 75zcar

I'd rather have it be urethane, but with my requrement that it be a bolt on replacement for the stock lower valence, not a molded front like yours, it would be near impossible to do. I've dealt with enough fiberglass over the years to know all of its faults and I'm ok living with it. It would just make the work so much easier!

I'd rather have it be urethane, but with my requrement that it be a bolt on replacement for the stock lower valence, not a molded front like yours, it would be near impossible to do. I've dealt with enough fiberglass over the years to know all of its faults and I'm ok living with it. It would just make the work so much easier!

Just as feasible with polyurethane...even more so I feel if you were to throw on the 240 bumpers. You can see in the first pic. of my bumper what I used to bolt the bumper to the headlight buckets. Those would hide easily behind some bumpers.

Should I run a front 240 bumper?