HybridZ

Looking to buy a SBC 240z, what to look for?

44magnum:

First look for rust or damage in the drivers and passengers floors. Check the condition of the sub-frame rails for any extensive damage. Check all the other nooks and crannies for rust. If these are OK then aske which differential, half shafts and stub axles are installed. For a 383 stroker those should be R200, CV half shafts and beefed up stub axles. Next ask what transmission is behind the 383. Ask what has been done to the suspension all the way around. Ask about the front brakes. Originals or replacements with more braking power. Next ask for a complete list of components replaced in the 383 and machining done to it.

8.5K is not bad if the body, suspension are OK. The rear drive-train may need beefing up. The brakes may need beefing up. Need to ask about the radiator to see if it is adequate for cooling the engine. These are some of the more important aspects to ask about. And especially make a list from this post before calling the seller and make good notes on his answers. Suspect that this may be a so - so build that can be improved upon.

The owner probably has $8.5k in it, but that is probably not the right price to buy it for. Really nice V8 z-cars often sell more in the $5K range. The $10-15k cars are usually restored to museum quality or are total customs with $60,000 invested in them. Look for rust and walk away if rust is present. Rust is the only problem that can't really be fixed. Save some money for new valve covers and wheels-those components on that car are dated and ugly no matter how fast it is! Finally, be sure you are ok with an automatic. The z-car was built to have a manual trans, don't turn a sportscar into a minivan. Buy whatever turns YOU on and we will be here to help you survive it.

It is not an $8k car. Maybe$2k to $3k if it was clean and loaded with upgrades. It looks like a scarab install with the engine forward. For $8k I would expect the body and interior to be in better shape. Also, the 350 trans is not the best choice. A 700R4 auto or a T5 trans would be better. Keep looking.

Edited by Miles

Rust is the only problem that can't really be fixed.

Its all steal. It can be fixed. The technology is there, but add cost/vs time then multiply by three...

I just didn't like "can't". You can polish a turd to shine. I seen it on T.V.

It is not an $8k car. Maybe$2k to $3k if it was clean and loaded with upgrades. It looks like a scarab install with the engine forward. A 700R4 auto or a T5 trans would be better. Keep looking.

+1

Hes probably got $4000+ in the motor though.

When ever I go buy a car I bring a weak thin refrigerator magnet the credit cards send you... You know...

See if there's any spots the magnet doesn't even try to stick to, or just clings and slides indicating filler of some sort.

Edited by tyler031734

73 240z build #273 240z build #1Ok so I talked to him today and learned a bit more, there is some minor rust in the lower door panels and in the hatch area. Which is common if I understand correctly. He says he has all the receipts and records so I will see how much he spent on it. Here are a couple of links to the build and some more details. He says it wont overheat because of 4 core radiator. Poly suspension bushings and all bolts used on the build were arp. Thanks again for your patience guys.

• 4 weeks later...

craigs list.org nashville 260z 8900. this car is a steal I helped build it the guy has 25-30 grand in it it has a dyno tested 355 17 inch wheels eibach springs tolico struts incredible machine for that money. I have one but if I had the money id have 2. his number is 615-8343828 his name is derek . If you want a nice car this one is it. it has 3.9 gear in it too with dynomax exhaust sounds and run great. it will hang with my 406 that runs 7.20s in eighth ok enough goonight then and piss off no no just kidding lol :P:D

It seems like an ok deal but I can guarantee your going to spend a hell of a lot more than 8.9k if you where to build something similar yourself and im willing to bet you can find one for cheaper than that but, its all about what you want. But with the 350 trans not sure that it will like the freeway cruzing and that gets annoying.

Edited by surpip

It's nice to see reply's that don't bash 44 magnum for the question. I have had questions and have wasted numerous hours searching this site for answers, and get none. Love the forums without a few snobs, were all here for the same reason. Whats a used car worth? The only answer is "it's worth whatever you want to pay for it"..