HybridZ

Is this a Garrett Airesearch Turbo

Neveragain55

Hi Gang,

Finished ripping apart a 29 year old turbo tonight (happy happy joy joy) and once I cleaned it all off I was quite surprised with what I saw :unsure:

All the literature on my donor 1982 L28ET says that they came equipped with Garrett AiResearch TB03 turbo’s. I’m wondering if this is in fact a Garrett turbo with Nissan stampings on it.

Before anybody asks, I believe this is the original turbo on the car by the similar amount of rust all around it and exhibited everywhere else in the vicinity.

Is this a Garrett or some red-headed step child on my engine?

I'm asking because I want to buy a rebuild kit for it and now that I see it says "Nissan Motor" on it I'm stumped as to where to get a rebuild kit (if one exists for this turbo)

As always, thanks in advance.......

post-24452-039445300 1323145943_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neveragain55

That's just it...........

There's no discernable markings anywhere on this thing that remotely resembles a typical T3.

I’ve looked at typical T3 rebuild kits online and the parts in the kit, and the guts of this turbo are different.

At the risk of sounding incredibly ignorant, I have no freaking idea what kind or type of turbo it is.

Scratch the previous post bro,

Just found the info I needed.

Turns out it "is" a Garrett TB03 turbo.

Turns out that Nissan "did" in fact put their name on a lot of components manufactured by other folks.

The reason why the guts in mine look completely different is because the guts were mostly gone.

Thanks for the reply Cygnusx1

• 2 months later...

Thanks Tony.............

I'm still learning all of this stuff so as small or trivial as you may think things like this is - they help me to better understand all things L28ET.

Hi , I have a similar problem , but also the turbo came on a L series manifold with no history ,but looks exactly like yours except it has a 6 instead of a 3.Did you have any luck getting a kit. You dont happen to have the kit number. Thanks

Getting a rebuild kit for these turbos is crazy easy but after my experience, I would only get a rebuild kit from either Treadstone down in Miami, or G-Pop Shop.

Also make sure you inquire about the dynamic seal for the backing plate opposed to the original one because the aftermarket backing plates are only designed for the dynamic seal.

Ask me how I know.............. :(

They're both on the internet:

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=134&cat_key=53&prodname=Garrett+Turbocharger+Turbo+Rebuild+Kit

http://gpopshop.com/rebuild-kits/?gclid=CIDb7oPqrKwCFYHu7Qod31j-Hw

• 1 year later...

Better late than never. I'm in the process of dismantling the turbine side(hot side, worst side). Would it hurt anything to submurge the tubine side in water, and slowly bring up the heat, then tap it, to help the housing come apart? I understand the turbine side is the hardest part to dis-assemble. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Pierre

Heat the turbine casing with a torch and rap it to remove it. Faster you get the heat into the turbine housing, the less chance the centre section has to grow equally.

PB Blaster on the joint works wonders.

I have that same compressor housing. It looks like a nissan replacement for the l28et which is what mine is and was removed from. its a stock 280zx 60 trim t3 from the look of it and g pop shop has been the only place i have bought rebuild kits from they are fantastic! Call them to get a better deal that ordering online. 

PB Blaster Tony? and a torch... that will work well together(sarcasm)

Try a "heat valve lubricant"

GM no longer stocks the stuff, but local Dodge dealers should be able to get it in mopar form. It penetrates much better than PB and the torch will not burn it all off as its designed to lubricate the heat valve inside of an exhaust manifold! It runs about $15 for a can. Its the best thing Ive found to take apart old turbos.

EDIT: I now use CATAPILLER penetrating lube, but like PB it is easily combustible so its not ideal for doing this.

Edited by rayaapp2