HybridZ

Do my exhaust plans sound street-able?

luseboy

Let me start off by saying that I have never made a custom exhaust before. But I decided I want to on my s30. I plan to get an MSA 6-1 TBC coated header, then into summit 2.5" aluminized piping, then into a 12" cherry bomb glass pack, then to a 12" dynomax race bullet muffler, and out of a 4" tip. I don't like a really loud exhaust, but prefer something a little more "exotic" sounding, as cliche as that is. I really don't want drone. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? What muffler/resonator combo should I use to get an exotic sound? I haven't heard anything that screams at me that it's what I want... Sorry if this post is kind of annoying. But I'm just trying to figure out what I should go with. Also what bends do I need in my exhaust pipe? a 45* to go up over the mustache bar, then two 90* to position it out to the tail pipe, right?

I had just the DynoMax bullet on mine, with 6-1 headers from MSA. It was extremely loud. Sounded great at idle--and that's it. Otherwise it sounded like 1.5 civics. I added a 24" long resonator. It was supposed to be "straight-through" but when it arrived it was a chambered one. It put it down to a reasonable level, I don't think I have any videos. But it was the sound I was wanting--something I could make a 5 hour trip in and not be deaf or have a headache.

However, I plan on getting a couple 18" straight through vibrant resonators, and replacing the above with those. It should be louder, but I really want a straight-through system.

Edited by BLOZ UP

I had just the DynoMax bullet on mine, with 6-1 headers from MSA. It was extremely loud. Sounded great at idle--and that's it. Otherwise it sounded like 1.5 civics. I added a 24" long resonator. It was supposed to be "straight-through" but when it arrived it was a chambered one. It put it down to a reasonable level, I don't think I have any videos. But it was the sound I was wanting--something I could make a 5 hour trip in and not be deaf or have a headache.

However, I plan on getting a couple 18" straight through vibrant resonators, and replacing the above with those. It should be louder, but I really want a straight-through system.

As I said, I don't want something too loud, I like a quiet-ish exhaust. It's starting to sound like I should look into other mufflers. I was also thinking of using a hooker aerochamber muffler which seems like a cool idea. Any ideas on how loud just having 2 glasspacks would be?

Define "exotic sounding" by giving us an example.

If you want to kill drone (and some of the raspy note) place a resonator as close to the merge collector as possible.

I want something not drony, not raspy, and just smooth sounding. Something similar to this:

or this :

I guess exotic isn't quite the right word. Second video says twice pipes with glasspacks. Would it sound similar if I had a single 2.5" with one glass pack in the tranny tube near the header, then one next to the fuel tank?

As I said, I don't want something too loud, I like a quiet-ish exhaust. It's starting to sound like I should look into other mufflers. I was also thinking of using a hooker aerochamber muffler which seems like a cool idea. Any ideas on how loud just having 2 glasspacks would be?

Fairly loud. I have two glasspacks per pipe, and it's almost too loud on the freeway and kind of obnoxious when I get on it. I do like the sound, but I also really like the deeper sound of those twice pipes that you posted.

Actually, I can try to stop by tomorrow after work, if I take the Z to work like I plan to. I'll shoot you a PM.

Edited by Leon

Yours sounds cool! maybe 2 glasspacks and a resonator? I like the sound of your exhaust but the raspy note isn't what I'm looking for. A resonator would do the trick to get that out, right?

I like some rasp, but it's definitely pretty raspy! It's hard to say what would get it out as there are so many combinations of pipe sizes, resonator locations and types, etc. You could go with a proven combo that you like and if you know the specs.

I like some rasp, but it's definitely pretty raspy! It's hard to say what would get it out as there are so many combinations of pipe sizes, resonator locations and types, etc. You could go with a proven combo that you like and if you know the specs.

thats true. I'm finding it hard to find info on the ones I like haha. I guess I just need to do some more research. Or just bite the bullet. It's not like mufflers or resonators are that expensive. I was just trying to see what others who have more experience had to say about what I was thinking.

Ok I think I'm on the right track now...

So the plan (currently)

-MSA 6 to 1 header

-straight into a huspower II resonator (as close as I can get it to the collector)

-2.5" back to a borla pro xs muffler

-2.5 back to a nice tip

I hate to use exhaust clamps... But I can't weld SS so the resonator and muffler will have to be clamped on... Not my favorite thing to do but whatever. I can't find sound clips of either of these installed on a Z... but I was figuring maybe someone had some insight. I think it should sound pretty good compared to what I've heard of these on other cars. Plus borla is a respectable company.

FYI, I installed the header and had a one-man shop build me the rest of the system for $300. I thought about making it myself but my decision was based on my skills, time and finances. I have limited exhaust building experience, not enough time, and don't mind throwing down $300 for a full exhaust! I can give you the guy's info if you want to go that route.

FYI, I installed the header and had a one-man shop build me the rest of the system for $300. I thought about making it myself but my decision was based on my skills, time and finances. I have limited exhaust building experience, not enough time, and don't mind throwing down $300 for a full exhaust! I can give you the guy's info if you want to go that route.

That's a good price! Yours definitely sounds great in-car too. Haha I could hear you leaving my driveway from inside my house.

Ok I failed on thinking that the muffler would slip over the piping... I think. I'm still not sure. But I don't think I can use a U-clamp, I have to use a band clamp, right?

so it couldn't be one of these,

SDC11718.jpg

it'd have to be one of these on each side of the muffler/resonator?

exhaust%20band%20clamp.jpg

Edited by luseboy

Have an exhaust shop expand the piping and make it slip-fit. Then get some springs and tabs welded on.

I would go with his suggestion. If you want to build the rest system yourself, I bet a muffler shop wouldn't charge much at all to expand a few ends of piping. The shop I used is Exhaust Works in Belmont, owner's name is Todd. He's a really cool guy and gives amazing prices for the kind of work he does.

I would go with his suggestion. If you want to build the rest system yourself, I bet a muffler shop wouldn't charge much at all to expand a few ends of piping. The shop I used is Exhaust Works in Belmont, owner's name is Todd. He's a really cool guy and gives amazing prices for the kind of work he does.

That does seem to be what a lot of racecars use. I think a flange would acctually be the "best" option next to welding to full ss pipe, now that I think of it. I think I ill call around and get some quotes for getting some flanges welded on or for getting the pipes expanded for the spring method as described. thanks for the lead on the shop! I will be sure to call him!

Hope I didn't scare anyone! :lol:

haha nope, just made me jealous that you get to drive your Z! haha.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the better mufflers I've had the misfortune of blowing up was a Summit Racing "Turbo Muffler", it was quiet, had no packing to blow out, and wasn't very restrictive. Unfortunately, it was just restrictive enough that after cranking the car for a minute or so with no spark, then suddenly figuring out that the fuse for the ignition was pulled, resulted in an exhaust full of fuel/air mix and then it lit off and blew the muffler all to hell.

The next muffler I tried is MUCH louder, It's a Summit Racing "Fully Welded Chambered Muffler" and is nearly a straight through path...I can look from one end to the other, at an angle, and it's readily apparent that the thing is just a box with two tubes and a single baffle in it. It's great at idle, but just freakin' loud on the highway. I will be replacing it in the next month or two, it'll be good on a different project, one that has more sound deadening...

Both of these were 35$ or so new, delivered. I'm running a Stahl weld-up kit header, 44" primary length into a 2.5" mandrel exhaust. I needed 2 180* U bends, and about 15" of straight pipe, and two three-bolt flanges to do the whole job. I used 1 full U bend, and a few sections of the other, I still have about 120* of that second U bend left. a 90* bend would have worked, but usually isn't much cheaper.

Columbia River Mandrel Bending is where I got my tubing from; they have good prices and are only about two hours east of me, so shipping was quick!

Edited by Xnke

Thanks for the advice on mufflers! If I end up having to go cheap on the exhaust I may go with a summit muffler, but we'll see. Good call on the U-bends, I guess I'll get some of those and use them as you did.

Well I think my exhaust should be nice, I decided to also add in a dynomax race bullet in the tranny tube a ways after the resonator. And I will be making a crankcase evac system and putting in an o2 sensor for a wide band. We'll see how everything turns out.

I did nearly the exact same thing as Xnke, I used a section of 3", a whole 180 and part or another. My car is turbocharged, but the summit muffler is great. Cheap and quiet, I noticed no change in the car swapping to a straight through muffler(afr, boost response, etc), the turbo muffler went back on shortly after.

You can actually hear my car from a fair ways off, but it's a low growl and not an annoying raspy sound, it's the type of sound that doesn't attract much attention of the law enforcement type. The look of a (really big :lol:) stock muffler probably helps too.

All these mufflers in the tunnel...You haven't crawled down there to see how much room you really have, have you?

With a 2.5" exhaust tube, most things you are describing are going to be 4" or more along the center. You're going to have a TIGHT fit along the transmisison, and then you're also setting yourself up to have to drop the exhaust to get access to the driveshaft.

The exhaust has four hard points. Gotta clear the trans crossmember and transmission, must clear the rear driver's corner of the floor pan, and fit into the cutout in the front diff mount, and then you have the stock muffler postion to decide on.