HybridZ

Do my exhaust plans sound street-able?

luseboy

I think it's hard to compare what works for a turbo and non-turbo engine. I have fabbed both and using a "turbo type" muffler on both set-ups,I will say the N/A engine is much louder. The turbo really helps quite the exhaust down at cruise.

I am running twice pipes 2" each with resonators AND turbo mufflers and it is border lne too loud. I think if you are at all concerned about noise, a chambered muffler might be best. I think with a header and mandrel bends and larger piping you are not going to hurt flow with a quality chamber muffler. You still will probably have to run a resonator.

And I can attest that things get tight under there in a hurry.

I think it's hard to compare what works for a turbo and non-turbo engine. I have fabbed both and using a "turbo type" muffler on both set-ups,I will say the N/A engine is much louder. The turbo really helps quite the exhaust down at cruise.

I am running twice pipes 2" each with resonators AND turbo mufflers and it is border lne too loud. I think if you are at all concerned about noise, a chambered muffler might be best. I think with a header and mandrel bends and larger piping you are not going to hurt flow with a quality chamber muffler. You still will probably have to run a resonator.

And I can attest that things get tight under there in a hurry.

I'm also using SS band clamps and I need to use the antsieze stuff myself-it would make life easier when taking my exhaust off. My whole exhaust comes apart in 3 pieces, but getting the down pipes off of the header with slip fit is a PITA

The greatest sounding exhaust I have every had on my old '77 was a Clifford's Research header(20+ yrs. ago, I think that was the name), 2.5" straight pipe to a Supertrapp SS muffler. The car had carbs, but not many mods. GREAT sound. Snarled on shifts at higher rpm's, no drone at speed, and my personal favorite alot of poping when decel. I know some guys don't like them but for me, the best I have used. Expensive, yes. Rebuildable, yes. And you really can adj. the sound level with the number of discs. Have used many other Turbo style mufflers none have brought same results. Have even used then on my work trucks. The system now is on my brothers '78 efi car. Sounds good, not as raspy and no spackling on decel. It does not have alot of miles on it but still sound good after 20 yrs.

I just realized that I had ben totaly confused about how mufflers fit to exhaust tubing. I thought they were both measured from the ID, but now I realize that tubing is measured OD and mufflers/resonators are measured ID. Haha now I understand how it works. I think I will be fine with band clamps, I don't see it as being much of a problem. I'll make sure to coat the junction with anti-sieze.

Is there really not going to be enough room for a 12" hushpower 2 resonator and a 12" race bullet in the tunnel? The race bullet comes in aluminized steel, so I can just weld that to the aluminized steel piping I will use. Which reminds me, what kind of prep do I need to do before welding the aluminized steel? I use mig with the normal mild steel wire and argon/co2 mixture. I think the msa header is the one I'll go with. I'm going to wrap it with a DEI titanium header wrap as well.

In this video, he's using what I believe to be a Borla XR-1 muffler. I love the sound a lot after he adds the race bullet, and I feel that the resonator would quiet it down a little more and give it the sound I'm looking for. The XR-1 is very similar sounding to the pro xs but significantly louder. That said, the stroker motor has a different sound from the stock motor, and is louder from what I can tell, so overall my exhaust will be much quieter, but his is way too loud for me, and I want a quiet exhaust!

And I won't need to buy flanges since the msa header comes with one already welded to a piece of 2.5" piping, which will probably have my resonator clamped to it, and maybe my 02 sensor bung in it if there's enough room. What do you guys use to hang the exhaust? I was hoping to make something like this work: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-36317/ with these welded to various points throughout the exhaust: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-35005/?rtype=10 . And one last question, should I get a flex pipe? My thinking is that it's not needed.