HybridZ

Electrolytic Rust Removal

LanceVance

Haven't seen many posts regarding electrolytic rust removal. Considering rust is something that all of us (at least most of us) have to deal with, I figured I would post up my results!

I recently purchased this turbo manifold from a member on here, and it had the typical amount of rust. It will eventually get ceramic coated when I have a turbo to coat as well, but untill then I figured I would try this out. I followed the instructions found HERE.

Manifold as it arrived...

121511205936.jpg

Worst area of rust...

2011-12-12_14-31-57_410.jpg

The bucket and anode...

2011-12-12_14-31-32_226.jpg

After sitting for two days, this is the anode, complete with holes...

2011-12-13_12-39-53_412.jpg

Anode and Cathode (the manifold) together...

121511205742.jpg

The manifold after about 1 hour of brushing by hand...

121511205845.jpg

The turbo gasket surface. Can still see the line of the old gasket (Might end up doing some porting!)...

2011-12-15_00-25-34_306.jpg

All in all, it came out much better than I expected! :D There is still a bit of rust around the ends of the runners, which was farthest away from the anode. I might just throw it back in for another day with the runners facing the anode this time. Turning the manifold would have given more even results (next time :rolleyes:).

Edited by LanceVance

Good job, it looks good! :)

I believe everybody working on old car should know this technique. It's my dad's blacksmith who's also restoring old guns who showed me how to proceed. Beware that this technique however would create some hydrogen molecules that makes flexible parts somehow brittle; something to think about if you try to remove rust from stab bar or springs.

Yep, it ain't rocket science.

Actually, if you have one of the Caswell home plating kits, you got most of what you need.

I was taking manifolds (headers for example) de rusting them via this method, and then directly plating them for storage.

• 4 weeks later...

To give you some more motivation, here's the result of last weekend: front bumper brackets after 5h sitting in electrolytic bath and 20s literally with wire wheel (not the small one on the picture) to clean up the residues, paint included.

post-3327-061238200 1326236788_thumb.jpg

I used this battery charger.

2011-12-13_12-43-47_399.jpg

Two days may have been more than necessary, but like I said there was still a small amount of rust on the runners. Turning the manifold every few hours may have cleaned it up completely in less time, but I wasn't in a hurry either way.

• 2 weeks later...