HybridZ

Tear down of 280zx Turbo engine

Ben's Z

I started the process of taking the 280zxt donor motor from the car yesterday. I popped off the valve cover and 9 of the 12 cam lobes were rusty. Inspection sticker on windshield is from 2003. The front 3 cam lobes appeared to be fine. Should I count on buying a new cam during the rebuild? If so, is there any camshaft I should just upgrade to? I had previous posted that I was looking for 250-270rwhp and that this goal was obtainable with the stock cam. However if I am going to have to replace it, I might as well upgrade if can for minimal expense.

Any reason why the front 3 would be fine and the rear 9 would be corroded?

If you can pick up an N/A 'A' stamped cam on the cheap($50 or less, they aren't really special enough to warrant any more than another stock cam) I'd do it.

Otherwise, call up isky, tell them your goals and your setup, send in the rusty cam to be reground, and enjoy.

Edited by letitsnow

Upgrading may not be as cheap as you think. A reground cam is going to require resurfaced rockers and new lash pads.

On the other hand, if the rust is not too bad, you may be able to clean up the lobes and run it. And if not, a stock N/A cam should work fine with the stock height lash pads you already have; be sure to get the rockers that were used with the cam as well, and use them in the same locations.

I found that firing the engine up with oil on the rusty lobes pretty much clears it up as well...

Exactly, just run it, the rust won't be there for long. Just make sure the oil holes in the cam are not plugged.

Edited by z-ya

I had an issue with the hydraulic lash adjusters sticking, floating, and possibly holding the valve open. Changing to a solid head fixed a massive power loss at 4500rpm and the engine ran much smoother, the car went .8 sec quicker in the 1/4 mile after fixing it(at less boost).

This was a mechanical issue, I'm sure that if they were functioning properly the difference would be negligible.