HybridZ

Lookee what Z parts Santa delivered!

1 tuff z

Pat, my first spoiler was the 3 piece, spent many hours fiberglassing and blending it to the body. Eventually it began to separate and I removed it. Have seen many and like the looks but all that have been blended [that I've seen anyway] were separating in one area or another.

Looks good!

As soon as I am healthy enough to start wrenching again I too am going to do a spoiler swap on the 76 LT1.

I have the MSA type II spoiler and rear bumper skirt on the 76Z right now and have had a 3 piece IMSA urethane spoiler kicking around for at least a dozen years.

I'll either bolt on the 3 Piece IMSA or maybe trade or find a california Z wing.

Greg

• 5 months later...

Decided that satin black was what the z really needed, color-wise for the rear spoiler. Speed/downforce test will be in about 2 weeks when I'm at Watkins Glen next [6/25-26].

Backstory; back in December last year when my new spoiler arrived, it was temporarily taped on, took pics then back inside where it was warmer. Fast forward a couple of months, I measure, drill, mount the spoiler-all looks fantastic and I'm psyched. Go to close the hatch and the spoiler [fortunately I closed it slowly just in case] contacts both quarter panels. I now wonder if I installed it incorrectly [it's happened before...] but all looks good. I planned on a foam tape [weather & waterproof] on the bottom side of the spoiler but had yet to install it-so now I"m thinking the extra 'space' would do the trick. Tried but no dice. Call Brian-he can't believe it and asks me to send pics-calls me back and tells me to return it and he'll send another. Love Brian's customer service! 2nd spoiler arrives [i now return the 1st as I had recycled the box quite awhile ago] and same issue. Call Brian again-we now suspect something is up with my z as it fits his [he tested it prior to shipping] and no one else has had this problem. Thinking that it's not my z I walk a few steps and test it on my 71-same problem. We both ponder solutions [brian offers to refund but I really want the spoiler!] so I install the spoiler, use my sharpie, mark where I think i needs to be trimmed and send it to Brian for surgery. A little while later I get my surgically altered spoiler in the mail and it fits like a champ. Did some quick sanding then shot it satin black [what you see now]. Before installing I went to orange box store and purchased vinyl foam weatherstrip [3/4 wide, 3/16 thick] and used it around the perimeter of the mounting surface-slightly inboard to make it somewhat invisible when mounted. this helped to both stabilize and seal it to the hatch since the wxstrip is both water & weatherproof will seal out moisture.

med_gallery_176_1026_1111544.jpg

med_gallery_176_1026_544134.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z