HybridZ

Camshaft

Perfect240z

I went to look at my cam the other day and I realized their isn't any oil on my cam...it has the holes on the lobes for the oil but not an external oil bar. I have a theory as to why my car wouldn't go passed 40mph and this may be why? A cam not having the smooth oily surface cant move correctly? Anyone want to chime in on my theory?

I went to look at my cam the other day and I realized their isn't any oil on my cam...it has the holes on the lobes for the oil but not an external oil bar. I have a theory as to why my car wouldn't go passed 40mph and this may be why? A cam not having the smooth oily surface cant move correctly? Anyone want to chime in on my theory?

If your cam has holes in the lobes, it's for an internal oiling system, and that's what you have. The external system has no oil holes and the spraybar.

A dry cam wouldn't have any effect on slowing the engine down due to drag on the cam. The engine would just destroy the surface of the dry metal parts if it had run with no oil.

Oil the cam up, put your fingers on it and feel the lobes for rough spots. Every lobe should feel nice and smooth.

The yellow/brown material is just a buildup on the cam base that doesn't have any pressure on it in use, due to valve lash. If lash is set correctly, the base circle doesn't actually rub on anything. You can see that the lobes themselves are actually shiny from pushing on the rocker arms. That's the part that needs to be smooth and slick.

The cam gear end looks to have two standard spring retainers, while the others appear to have anodized aluminum spring retainers. I can't see how they could be that light colored, with the front two (#1 Cyl) the typical 'dark steel' look of standards... :huh:

I would look if the valves are the same in all cylinders, and then compare the weights of the retainers and even springs.

Something went on with #1 by the looks of it to me! :(

Edited by Tony D

The cam gear end looks to have two standard spring retainers, while the others appear to have anodized aluminum spring retainers. I can't see how they could be that light colored, with the front two (#1 Cyl) the typical 'dark steel' look of standards... :huh:

I would look if the valves are the same in all cylinders, and then compare the weights of the retainers and even springs.

Something went on with #1 by the looks of it to me! :(

After looking at the cylinder head all this time I never realized the different color retainers, yeah I'll do that when I get to dismantling the rest of it.

As for my cam I've been looking at web cams and I see they have a cam that can be used with stock to modified set up and the price is pretty good, I'll probably end up getting that when I do the rebuild.