HybridZ

missing fusable links needed?

I don't have the two front fusable links, will that keep me from getting charge to the battery from the alternator? The car is able to start and run and seems to run fine without them. I have not driven any long distances yet so I was just wondering if these are needed or what was going on there thanks!

(not my pic)

correct_fusible_links2.jpg

Edited by MuhKaydenZ

It sounds like somebody has removed, jumped, or replaced the fusible links in your car. If you follow the 12 gauge wires (usually some combination of red and white) through your engine compartment, you may find that they were replaced with some other solution. Their purpose is to provide a fuse in the major load carrying circuits under your hood. They're pretty old technology, and many people replace them with a more modern solution (e.g. Maxi-Fuse). I replaced mine with 80-amp weather-proof circuit breakers. They're not necessary for your car to run, but they are necessary to prevent a fire or meltdown in case you develop a short. :D

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

What you can do as I do which is perfect is get the newer Nissan fuses. I get my fuses from a 240sx, 300zx (z32) and basically any Nissan around 1990-1995.

You will need 2 fuses. The starter which is a 75amp and another which is 40am. You can go to the junk yards and find these readily available. You take the fuses apart from it's casing bend the legs straight and solder on large Female spades you find at autozone or where ever. Since you 280z guys may not have the covers you don't have to dismantle these fuses from their casings which is better since the casing will shield the fuses. I have like tons of these from all the cars I parted out and everything I hit the junk yards I get these.

You can also buy these at autozone, but pfff, they're free and plenty.

They are fuses so they will blow in the same principles as the fuseable link wires will burn baby burn.

and remember, when you are planning to use a "relay" Nissan relays are the same as those you get at the store and probably way better.

I have dozens of these, too. Free things all Nissan guys should have:

SDC13946.jpg

SDC13945.jpg

SDC13944.jpg

Edited by Ducer

Free meaning stolen. Why do guys like you have to steal so many, that end up sitting in your garage? I spent an hour walking around the wrecking yard one day looking for a Bosch relay and they were all gone. Someone like you walked around, filled his socks and waddled out the door with a bunch of parts he'll never use.