HybridZ

On-the-car adjustable tie rod ends

luseboy

Hey,

So I'm working on my front suspension on my Z and I've been thinking about fabbing up my own adjustable tie rod ends. By adjustable, I mean length, not bumpsteer as I have seen done on this forum. I guess my question mainly is, do I really need to? I'm going to be using TTT adjustable LCA's front and rear, and plan to run about 2* of negative camber with them. Do you think I will run out of adjustment with the tie rod ends to set the front toe to 0? And if I were to do this, what would be the best approach? I've mainly seen people just chop off the end on the tie rod, weld on a threaded tube, and install a rod end which they put a bolt through into the steering rack. I've been thinking of chopping out a portion of the middle of the tie rod end, and putting in a (not sure what to call it, basically a stud that is normal threaded on one half, and reverse on the other, with a nut in the middle), and welding threaded portions to each side. What do you guys think? I know there's been some discussion about this, but I haven't seen anyone do what I'm talking about by cutting the middle out. Is it better to use a rod end? A ball joint seems better to me... but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as some people on here. I guess the other option would be trying to find one made for a different car and making it work with a Z, that doesn't seem like a bad option, and wouldn't take too much fabrication if I'm not mistaken. Anyways the Z is all taken apart so now is the time.

I appreciate any and all thoughts/input!

-Austin

Well... it depends on how far out you adjust your adjustable front LCAs. I've had a car in the shop where the owner cranked out his adjustable LCAs as far as possible and couldn't get to zero toe. Bringing the arms in and getting the toe set correctly made the car handle a lot better.

Well... it depends on how far out you adjust your adjustable front LCAs. I've had a car in the shop where the owner cranked out his adjustable LCAs as far as possible and couldn't get to zero toe. Bringing the arms in and getting the toe set correctly made the car handle a lot better.

Haha well yes, as I said, I'm only trying to induce about -2* camber, which isn't much compared to how far you can go. If mark is running 3* without issue, I should be fine! Haha I'm sure, too much negative camber is bad, and incorrect toe is also bad haha.