HybridZ

Questions about Master Cylinders..

http://www.silverminemotors.com/15-16-master-cylinder-15-16-master-cylinder.htm :b_hand: Expensive, but they do have them. I'm going with their stage 4 brakes, and a wilwood 1" master on my 240z booster with custom hardlines. Seems like it's hard to have too big of a master cylinder, since it will just make your brakes engage faster, which you can fix by adjusting the booster, right? Either way, I hope you figure out a solution!

I don't have the brakes you have, but I do have the stock 7/8" master on my car with Z31 300ZX front brakes (rotors and calipers), and 300ZX/280ZX/Maxima rear brakes (300ZX rotors turned down 1cm, 280ZX calipers) The 7/8" master has a (slightly) spongy feeling, I installed a 300ZX 1" master, but had a very opposite problem, extremely touchy brakes. Bled several times, all new fluid each time, tried changing the pedal ratio, nothing really got rid of how touchy it was. I'm still trying to figure out how to cure that. There may be an issue with the master, or something I may have missed, because I have seen another S30 locally that also used a Z31 master cylinder, but not entirely sure of the calipers he used, I can't imagine that anyone would put up with a touchy brake system.

For now I'm back to the 7/8" master, since it's much easier to modulate and use, than the 1" master I tried.

My car is a '73 FWIW.

I don't have the brakes you have, but I do have the stock 7/8" master on my car with Z31 300ZX front brakes (rotors and calipers), and 300ZX/280ZX/Maxima rear brakes (300ZX rotors turned down 1cm, 280ZX calipers) The 7/8" master has a (slightly) spongy feeling, I installed a 300ZX 1" master, but had a very opposite problem, extremely touchy brakes. Bled several times, all new fluid each time, tried changing the pedal ratio, nothing really got rid of how touchy it was. I'm still trying to figure out how to cure that. There may be an issue with the master, or something I may have missed, because I have seen another S30 locally that also used a Z31 master cylinder, but not entirely sure of the calipers he used, I can't imagine that anyone would put up with a touchy brake system.

For now I'm back to the 7/8" master, since it's much easier to modulate and use, than the 1" master I tried.

My car is a '73 FWIW.

Have you tried adjusting the booster? It covers how to in the sticky for the wilwood master cyl.

Have you tried adjusting the booster? It covers how to in the sticky for the wilwood master cyl.

You mean the pushrod? Yes, I tried adjusting that a few times.

That shouldn't effect any touchiness, just proper adjustment of the engagement to the master.

Edited by Six_Shooter

I installed a 300ZX 1" master, but had a very opposite problem, extremely touchy brakes. Bled several times, all new fluid each time, tried changing the pedal ratio, nothing really got rid of how touchy it was. I'm still trying to figure out how to cure that.

Have you checked the reaction disk? A typical complaint is that the pedal is spongy like there is air in the line, then right at then end the brakes lock up with no pedal feel at all. May be that you adjusted out all the spongy and you're straight to the locking brakes.

Have you checked the reaction disk? A typical complaint is that the pedal is spongy like there is air in the line, then right at then end the brakes lock up with no pedal feel at all. May be that you adjusted out all the spongy and you're straight to the locking brakes.

Yes, I checked the reaction disc, a few times. The symptom is different though, there's not a lot of pedal travel, before it engages, there's very little pedal travel before the brakes engage, and then a very short amount of stroke before the brakes lock up, it wasn't completely undriveable, just had to think about how much I pushed on the brake pedal.

I have a few ideas to look at and try. I want to gut the prop valve that is in the master cylinder so that I can use my Allstar prop valve for adjustment, which is not related to the touchy brakes, just something I want to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Ill do a little update here.Ive got about 500 miles on my AZC brake settup with the stock 74 MC and it seems like it is working great other then the pedal feel is slightly wimpy.I HAVE noticed that the fluid level in the stock MC has risen well above the max level in both front and rear reservoirs.I wander why that is? I bled the system properly from the get go and it was at the fill line for a long time till recentlty.Its actually way high wich scares me.Any ideas why this my be?Is this dangerous?

Ill do a little update here.Ive got about 500 miles on my AZC brake settup with the stock 74 MC and it seems like it is working great other then the pedal feel is slightly wimpy.I HAVE noticed that the fluid level in the stock MC has risen well above the max level in both front and rear reservoirs.I wander why that is? I bled the system properly from the get go and it was at the fill line for a long time till recentlty.Its actually way high wich scares me.Any ideas why this my be?Is this dangerous?

Could be from fluid expansion from the heat of using the brakes. I know dot fluid isn't supposed to do that, but it's still possible. Also could have something to do with seals and gaskets seating. And could also be due to the pistons finding the right spot to sit. As to whether or not that is dangerous... seems to me that it's not really dangerous, fluid level in the MC goes down when you use the brakes. It's probably better to have a little too much than too little. However if you boil the brake fluid, it could make the master cylinder cap blow off which could let the boiling brake fluid to shoot out, or somehow spill out during cornering/braking/etc, which could be very dangerous if you don't realize it on time. I'd say let a little fluid out of one of the bleed ports. Or you could syringe a little up out of the resevoir... but I'm pretty sure that's a no-no, but I can't remember why.