HybridZ

Is this worth purchasing?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately if you are not handy with welding (as mentioned) almost all datusn's are going to be tough for you. There really isn't such a thing as a rust free datsun anymore. And the ones that are truly rust free are very pricey. As said before it is the best idea to go and check out any datsun and really do a good job of checking every square inch trying to find rust. There are some very common rust areas for these cars. So check the site for all of the common rust areas and start by looking in those areas then just look throughout the rest of the car. If you don't think you can adequately repair rust then expect to shell out some money for rest removal/repair. Unfortunately paint on a Datusn will have to be removed to fix rust so don't focus on paint being a huge factor for picking a particular datusn over another one. What you really need to look for is as rust free as possible. Hope this helps.

Depends on your budget and what you want to use the car for. If it is just to have a Z and drive....sure as long as it is safe. Your $2k budget here in the northeast isn't going to get you much here. The dash looks to be mint and the car looks complete. Great starter to learn on. If you are looking to make a racer out of it and can't weld, I say pass until you can afford a cleaner car to start with.

Thanks guys for the quick reply.

Spoke to the owner, and it's not really road worthy as stated by the owner.

I have a track car, and really wanted a Z for the Nostalgia. It is really hard to find a Red on White. But I guess i'll pass on it as it would take too much work.

Received a few qoutes for shipping from CA, but unfortunately either the car isn't attractive or they want an arm and leg.

EvilC hit me up!!

Edited by hatepotholez

I have some wiggle room.

All of the East coast S30's are going to be plagued with rust issues. You can pick up a rust Z for cheap. But fixing it is another issue. Like I said before, if you can repair it yourself then that will make the purchase better. If you don't feel comfortable fixing/repairing rust then expect to drop some money on paying someone to make the repairs. I see Datsun's go anywhere from 800-2000 in decent condition and minimal rust, so there is hope.

That is a really nice dash in that car, I hope that dash is used by someone. Unfortunatley, that car appears to have a lot of rust in the areas you don't want rust, such as the front x-member mounting points and the shock towers. The floor pans are great! But idk, personally, suspension mounting points are more important than the floors. Good luck finding a Z that doesn't need any restoring for 2k. I'd say it's probably worth your time to find one in arizona and drive it back if possible, that's where nothing rusts too badly. Or buy one knowing it'll need some welding and take a class/buy a little mig welder. Pretty much all the Z's you can buy need a partial or full restoration, and if they don't, that means someone already did it, and they love it too much to let it go for anything in the $2k range.

Did you check the car out?

I have texted the owner and he seems like a idiot. Says he bought the car and knows nothing about it. I am wanting it to fix up as a little run around town s30 as I am building my 280z for the track. Not sure I want to jump into a project with a previous owner who knows nothing about cars and could have just messed up a lot of stuff.

Thanks, for that link but looking for a 240.

Why a 240 over a 260/280z? The 240 is older and more likely to have more rust then the later 260/280z models. Furthermore they are the same body style only subtle differences as in the bumpers, front turn signals and rear tail lights...