HybridZ

Driveshaff question

mistah mofro

Friend got his 73' 240z he was told that it had a five speed out of a 2dr 280zx. After i got it from him a few months later the tranny gave way, so i picked up another transmission and realized the driveshaft doesn't mesh with the transmission i have. So do i need a zx driveshaft or some type of driveshaft combo? Btw for now im running an r180.

Thanks

How does it "not match"? And which transmission doesn't match, the old one or the new one? What kind of transmission did you get? What kind was in before? Lots of combinations possible.

A ZX driveshaft would be too long for a Z, by about 1/2 inch. Maybe that's why the first transmission failed.

It doesnt match the new trans i got, its another five speed from 280zx but dont remember the year. Previously in my car was apparently a 280zx tranny but the part that doesnt match up is the teeth on the driveshaff to the trans. My first trans would always shoot out fifth gear and eventually spread(year of driving), i wouldnt think a driveshaft would do something like that, plus if it be half inch longer i wouldnt think it would fit all together. Is there a difference between the 280zvs280zx driveshafts?

You need to know what trans you have and hopefully the drive shaft from the car it came out of will fit. But, if it does not then you may need to have a shaft made for it.

Yeah i was thinking that maybe he told him it was a zx tranny rather than a 280z. If i find the matching driveshaft and its too long can i just swap the yokes (i think thats it is)?

Looks like they introduced a new type of drive shaft in 1982 for the turbo. Maybe to match the FS5R90A transmission, which might have a different spline ("gear") count or shaft diameter. Check the FSM to see what kind of transmission you have or had. Why guess when you don't have to?

The yokes aren't swappable. And a drive shaft that's too long will probably damage your transmission.

If your old transmission is truly a Nissan (not Borg Warner) ZX unit, then the transmission you picked up is not a Z or ZX one. The spline count on all Z and ZX transmissions is the same, barring the T5 that came with the ZX Turbo (not sure on that one), so there should not be spline meshing issues.

If your old transmission is truly a Nissan (not Borg Warner) ZX unit, then the transmission you picked up is not a Z or ZX one. The spline count on all Z and ZX transmissions is the same, barring the T5 that came with the ZX Turbo (not sure on that one), so there should not be spline meshing issues.

This. Also a driveshaft that does not have proper play/spacing will mess your transmission. I would highly suggest going to a custom/special driveshaft shop and having a custom made shaft. They know everything needed in a proper driveshaft. I had a custom one made for my track 280z and it is flawless.

Can anyone say for sure that the FS5R90A (T-5) transmission has a different spline count or diameter on the output shaft? I've browsed around the forums but can't find a definite statement.

Mofro may have a T-5 transmission or a T-5 drive shaft. If he has a 71B transmission then any old late 240Z, 260Z or 280Z coupe (not 2+2) drive shaft should work, except the 1975 280Z.

Edit - Apparently the T-5 came with a different spline count according to this write-up, about 1/2 way down the page - http://datsunzgarage.com/borg/

I feel smarter now...

Edited by NewZed

Looks like they introduced a new type of drive shaft in 1982 for the turbo. Maybe to match the FS5R90A transmission,

Of course, it could be the automatic drive shaft also. Which could also be a drive shaft that Mofro ended up with.

Edited by NewZed

I had them make and use all brand new parts so it was a little pricey. But all said and done 300 dollars. But they used serviceable joints, brand new slip yoke and beefier and stronger joints all around. They called it their racing/drifting shaft and they rated the shaft for 1000hp. Overall I am more then happy and they had my driveshaft done in an hour...

alot of info within a few hours, anyone know the spline count or a way i can identify if its t5 trans/driveshaft. Ill try to jam the driveshaft one more time,

RB240z how mucb was your driveshaft?

Seriously tho thanks

Count the splines (before jamming). Look at the transmission drawings in the FSM.