HybridZ

Aftermarket Speedometers and Tachmeter pics!!!

Has anyone considered the quad combo speed hut gauges in 4"? GPS speedo with tach on the left and oil/temp/fuel/volt on the right. Leaves your stock tri gauge pods for afr, clock and user choice of oil temp or EGT etc. ONLY comprimize is the smallish tach.... May not suit everyone, but its going to do me just fine.

Do the 4inch gauges really fit that nice in the speed and tach pods? No trimming of the bezel required?

As for the triple gauge pods, you can make a 52mm gauge fit by mounting it to the bezel of the factory gauges. I saw I guy do it on this forum with dakota digital gauges. That's my plan. I bought a set of prosport evos:

216EVOWBWB4.9WOB.jpg

Has anyone considered the quad combo speed hut gauges in 4"? GPS speedo with tach on the left and oil/temp/fuel/volt on the right. Leaves your stock tri gauge pods for afr, clock and user choice of oil temp or EGT etc. ONLY comprimize is the smallish tach.... May not suit everyone, but its going to do me just fine.

I made a quad gauge to replace my tach, using a donor gauge set-up from a late '80's Sunbird. I didn't care for it, but better lighting might have helped. It had oil press, water temp, fuel level and voltage. I used a 2 1/16" tach in the middle hole in the trio location, along with boost and AFR gauges.

I'll post pictures later.

Do the 4inch gauges really fit that nice in the speed and tach pods? No trimming of the bezel required?

As for the triple gauge pods, you can make a 52mm gauge fit by mounting it to the bezel of the factory gauges. I saw I guy do it on this forum with dakota digital gauges. That's my plan. I bought a set of prosport evos:

216EVOWBWB4.9WOB.jpg

The 4" gauges were compression fit in and secured from the back, no mods needed. The 2 5/8" gauges mount to the factory plastic bezels that the stock units mount in. With the 2 5/8", I just glued the bezels from the back side of the dash and mounted the new gauges with the all the parts that came with them. I put the dimmer knob they sell in the dummy hole I had above the hazard switch. The wiring is easy, and they are much lighter than the factory units, especially when you ditch the factory housings pieces. Id rather put a radio in the glove box than gauges so thats why I went this route, plus it was the least expensive option. Before Christmas they had 20% off everything. GPS speedo rocks!

Edited by Timecode

Can't wait to buy a speedhut speedometer + fuel level and tachometer gauge. Going to be working some long hours because they're pricey but worth the extra coin in my opinion. They have a very professional look with a lifetime warranty. You keep your turn signal and highbeam light as well as both trip odometers. :icon14:

I had been looking at Autometer ES and was very impressed when I found speedhut, especially since you get to customize them. :bling:

What sort of sender did you need for the tach?

Edited by MidnightRider

This is a little off topic, but I figure it can help the OP and others (such as me) who look at this thread. How did you hook up an aftermarket speedo? I'm assuming you can get the stock gear to mate to an aftermarket speedo cable? Or do you have to join the aftermarket speedo cable to the stock one to get it to work?

As promised Here are a couple pictures of what I made for my car. The tach was just a cheap one to decide if I liked the idea and the layout, which I didn't in the end. The Autometer NB O2 sensor light gauge was only used because I had it. The quad gauge was pireted from a late '80's Pontiac Sunbird as I previously mentioned. I used the GM sender for it, and since the fuel level sender is almost exactly opposite between the GM and Datsun senders it read backwards, which was not a big deal, just had to remember that full was really empty. LOL. The sender could be flipped upside down and installed to correct this, just never got around to doing that.

I may try something similar in thr future, but want to improve on it greatly.

gauges%20installed.JPG

quad%20installed%20no%20LEDs.JPG

quad%20ready%20for%20install.JPG

This is a little off topic, but I figure it can help the OP and others (such as me) who look at this thread. How did you hook up an aftermarket speedo? I'm assuming you can get the stock gear to mate to an aftermarket speedo cable? Or do you have to join the aftermarket speedo cable to the stock one to get it to work?

The ones from speedhut operate with a GPS signal with an included sender. You don't need a cable or sensor. It's the best way to go for street use. If you're building a race car, then you probably want to run something such as a mechanical competition series gauge.

*If you want to run an aftermarket gauge that works off an electronic signal (not a mechanical gauge) you can also buy a GPS sender from intellitronix for $100.

Edited by MidnightRider

The ones from speedhut operate with a GPS signal with an included sender. You don't need a cable or sensor. It's the best way to go for street use. If you're building a race car, then you probably want to run something such as a mechanical competition series gauge.

Woah! Thats pretty trick... I'll have to see if they make one that matches the proform tach I plan on getting... Hmm looks like they are really expensive for the 5" size. Would it be possible to make something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2887-2/ work with our speedo cogs? or is there another more economical gauge that can be used?

Edited by luseboy

I'm no expert on gauges, but I don't think an electrical sender would work with a mechanical gauge.

As for a budget gauge, you can get ones from glow shift and autometer comp. for about $100, they will work with electrical/mechanical senders depending on what you get. However, you loose your turn signal and highbeam indicators. The advantage of the speedhut is you get to keep those features and custom design your own gauge AND an impressive lifetime warranty.

Edited by MidnightRider

I'm no expert on gauges, but I don't think an electrical sender would work with a mechanical gauge.

Haha whoops forgot to mention that that'd be for an electronic speedo. Some people have claimed it to work, but I can't find anyone who's acctually used it. I'm still searching. Edit: This post says that the electronic sending unit can be used. I guess I will just buy the summit one and use an electric gauge. Problem solved, in case anyone else is looking for a less-expensive option.

Edited by luseboy

edit*: As for a budget gauge, you can get ones from glow shift and autometer comp. for about $100, they will work with electrical/mechanical senders depending on what you get. However, you loose your turn signal and highbeam indicators. The advantage of the speedhut is you get to keep those features and custom design your own gauge AND an impressive lifetime warranty.