HybridZ

Aftermarket Speedometers and Tachmeter pics!!!

edit*: As for a budget gauge, you can get ones from glow shift and autometer comp. for about $100, they will work with electrical/mechanical senders depending on what you get. However, you loose your turn signal and highbeam indicators. The advantage of the speedhut is you get to keep those features and custom design your own gauge AND an impressive lifetime warranty.

I'm still looking at the stuff summit has. I'm not too concerned about turn signal/high beam indicators. I might just put 3 little led's in the dash under the speedo; one blue one in the middle, and one green one on each side. The blue to indicate high beams and the green for turn signals. We'll see.

Can't argue with that, was my original plan. Can't wait to see the build. Mine won't go in till this spring because I'm planning a major tear down of the interior over spring break.

I'm sure yours will be done before mine. My car is about ready to have the remaining rear suspension removed, and to be put up on a rotisserie to cut out and replace the floor pans and frame rails, and to weld in some subframe connectors. It will be quite some time before I'm ready to install my suspension. And even longer before I install any interior... haha.

Edited by luseboy

Now that's how you do it. I'll be looking for your build thread. I'm hopefully going to have my car relatively completed in the next 5 months because I'll be going to college soon. I've already started setting up the triple pods. If anyone has any broken clock gauges I'll send you a couple bucks for them. It's a lot easier to mount a 52mm gauge to a clock bezel because it doesn't have that bar that splits the gauge in half... gotta figure out how to remove that. :hs:

Now that's how you do it. I'll be looking for your build thread. I'm hopefully going to have my car relatively completed in the next 5 months because I'll be going to college soon. I've already started setting up the triple pods. If anyone has any broken clock gauges I'll send you a couple bucks for them. It's a lot easier to mount a 52mm gauge to a clock bezel because it doesn't have that bar that splits the gauge in half... gotta figure out how to remove that. :hs:

Haha I kinda gave up on the whole build thread thing for now, not enough to update on regularly. I'm gonna wait until I paint the car to update it again. I hope my car will be on the road in 5 months, we'll see. I'm going to college soon too haha, but only about a 45 min. drive from here. I'll see what can be done about that cross brace, I'll start pulling my gauges apart when I have some free time soon, and tell you what I come up with.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the middle of a Speedhut install. I went with the 4" quad and gps tach combo. 2 5/8" wideband, fuel pressure, boost. Silver faces, bright green glow.

Hi,

I'm in the process of installing an RB25DET in my 1974 260Z and having some probems figuring out what gauges I can fit in teh Z. The probelm is the RB would only have electronic outputs for speesometer and tach and presumably everything else, where the Z gauges are mostly mechanical and electrical. Can you guys please give some suggestions of what gauges fit in the pods and would work with the newer RB engine?

Thanks

Roger

post-13470-004441800 1339101932_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Roger,

I looked at a lot of gauge options and Speedhut's are the best I've seen. The rb trans has an electronic signal that can go straight to most aftermarket speedometers. The Speedhut speedometer is either GPS or signal based but not both. You have to pick one or the other. If you have a electronic speed signal then get the non-gps unit. Plus side on the GPS unit is it can give you 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.. and any changes to your car (tire/wheel size,rear end ratio) the speed reading will almost be perfect but it takes a few minutes to find a satellite. Non gps would work like a factory gauge. Go to the web site and check them out. They are a bit expensive but if you wait for them to go on sale it makes it worth it. Plus they are REALLY made in the USA. The problem with this country is we keep outsourcing instead of purchasing products from companies on our own soil. They were also really friendly to work with. I couldn't decide to go silver or black bezels for the speedo and tach. When I placed my order I asked them to throw in the silvers for free not expecting them to do it. They did. A+++

TC