HybridZ

Removing Lower Diff crossmember with RT diff mount.

SUNNY Z

Searched, but found nothing conclusive

I've seen where some people have cut the front crossmember for the diff out when using a Ron Tyler style diff mount, using only the pieces that hold the LCA's on. I was considering doing this exact setup, and I was just curious if anyone has seen any ill effects from doing this? It would make running my dual exhaust easier, along with making a diff swap easier, if it came to that.

Please post any positive - or negative REAL WORLD advice, not "well it could do x or y".

Thanks

I would also Like this info. My setup will be a little different as I'm using the Techno Toy tuning front mount for a shortnose r-200.

I was looking at pete's site and saw where he cut a section out of the diff mount to make duals easier but if we can do away with the whole thing except for the control arm mounts anyways then I dont wanna bother with cutting out a "notch" like pete did.

post-1760-056428600 1328197910_thumb.jpg

post-1760-006811800 1328197917_thumb.jpg

Edited by redneck1545

I know there are people out there running without the cross member that have not reported any problems. If that's good enough for you then go ahead and cut it.

The cross member has three primary roles. First is to clamp the LCA bushings onto the structure of the car. Second is to react the differential nose load. Lastly is to react the LCA loads across the transmission tunnel. This last function is the one that concerns me when it is removed or cut away. The car has a nice beefy integral structure leading up the the LCA mount. If you remove the cross member, now load must travel across the thin wall around tunnel. Surely this situation increases deflections and stresses in the structure of the car.

I have not seen or read about any failures resulting from the removal of this cross member. Maybe John or someone else has. For conservatism sake I would leave it in.

Edited by rossman

I removed mine during this recent short nose diff swap. I'm using the Techno Toy front mount, which bolts up to the oem diff strap brackets, and connects both sides of the tunnel area that the orig. X member does.

I will have to watch it closely to make sure nothing goes bad. Since I don't track my car, I feel it will hold up to my driving style,

post-181-005648800 1328207938_thumb.jpg