HybridZ

S30 Fender Mirror Mod

Been driving around with my stainless steel/aluminum fender mirrors for a few years now but have always wanted the black JDM oe style. So here is how I got my fix...

Disassembled the mirrors, took them to my powdercoater and had him match the OE black mirrors. Had all the steel hardware replated so they now look, well-correct.

Pics;

before, taken apart and ready for powdercoating

med_gallery_176_1043_941131.jpg

med_gallery_176_1043_668171.jpg

after, ready to assemble!

med_gallery_176_1043_238674.jpg

So, which are the imposters?

med_gallery_176_1043_733823.jpg

Years ago I scored a NOS pair of black fender mirrors but have never installed them. Figured with my luck as soon as I did they'd break or something.

Here is what I figured. The black ones are unobtanium, if I installed them they'd probably get broken or something like that and I would not be able to find a replacement. The chrome/stainless models are still available and for significantly less than the black ones - that's if you could find them!

Because They are brand new NOS Black Fender mirrors which u don't see everyday I'd Imagine B)

I purchased them with help from a friend in Japan a few years ago from yahoo japan. Brian sells them on his website z car customs, click here. For pics, click here-to see a few in my hbz album.

For powdercoating figure about $35-$50 depending on who you use and their pricing. I would NOT recommend doing them yourself, especially after dropping cash on a new pair. I did all the diss and assembly of the mirrors myself. Also spent time selecting the best finish. I found the oe black mirrors felt like they were rattle can'd flat black and have a finish that feels as if you ran a cloth over it there would be a lot of lint left behind. So, I picked a flat finish with a smooth texture to it. Next to each other it's hard to discern the difference until you run your hand across them.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as powder coating goes, ill have my brother do that for me, he is really good and been doing it for a while.

Is there a difference between the driver and passenger side mirror? ive seen some sites sell just the driver side L/Front only, was wondering if i could buy two of those and be alright.

The mirrors are asymetrical so you'll need to purchase a L & R.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as powder coating goes, ill have my brother do that for me, he is really good and been doing it for a while.

Is there a difference between the driver and passenger side mirror? ive seen some sites sell just the driver side L/Front only, was wondering if i could buy two of those and be alright.

You're right. Truth be told I have [a handshake] agreement to purchase a Fairlady Z and have been keeping them for that car. The mirrors along with some other Fairlady z parts I have accumulated over the past few years.

Just seems pointless to me to have something like that and not use them. :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...