HybridZ

Alternatives to ZG flares

MidnightRider

Then go with metal instead of the usual fiberglass junk. If you want something even more different, then flare the whole fender rather than just a wheel opening. Doing just the wheel opening would overqualify as common. You may read the fabrication and welding forum to see whats involved in making a look that is diferent. If you start talking about putting dive planes or spikes on the flared wheel opening Im calling your father.

Looking for something different than the same thing that almost everyone else uses is not good, because....?

Because it usually turns into a disaster in the hands of an amateur. Because the next owner has to fix it. Because I have fixed other peoples experiments. Because people are at greater risk for injury doing unfamiliar tasks with materials and tools. Because we drive on the road too. For instance some guys shoddy work catches a crosswind at 85 mph and peals slap off the car. Maybe that causes damage to somebodies car, or worse. Because of roadrage. Because you might scratch the wrong guys car. east.jpg So while planning body modification, keep in mind the bigger picture, and know what you are getting into. Its not rocket science, but there are good ways and bad ways.

Edited by Heroez

Im sorry you dont understand. Shakotan is a term for a type of enthusiast as well as a style, and I meant shark nose. If you want to discredit people in the industry that do this in favor of your amateur hobby opinion, no skin off my nose. I guess the real answer will come after the pipe dream phase.

Funny thing is I'm also from (near) Atlanta and as soon as I saw the pics of the s13's in the first post I thought "Oh God, please don't let those hellaflush fanboyz be infiltrating my beloved forum". Not another 240atlanta, please not again!

The kids are always going to keep coming. I know what you mean by 240atlanta.com. Most of the time its kids daydreaming and looking for pics to drool at. Some of them didnt even have a car yet. I want one to get mad at me and do the modification/build just to spite me and do a good job. Then once in a great while, a guy with a welder shows up with time and materials and you get that immaculate story you were a part of. Thats why we read on. I didnt get past registration on 240atlanta before I was telling them exactly how ugly they were. That was a new experience.

Edited by Heroez

I like his input, I like yours as well.

As far as different fenders go stay away from the 240sx stick on ones plus they look horrible. I too want something different and I have a few ideas. Best thing to do is make your own with foam, wire, and fiberglass.

Restoring a car be it a rustang or a datsun to factory specs is not near as hard as customizing them.

Since interest in this topic is bigger, lets go on. As for the many mentions of the aero and race body styling, its something we can run with. Lets say the idea is the point right between full widebody and a flared wheel opening. Bodykit comes to mind, but we want to take it a step further. More hands on, and labor intensive. Like stated earlier with the subtle look, and also the necessity for making something by adding labor. For example, adding 2 inches outward at wheel well, molding it in completely with the body smoothly. No visible transition. You are better off getting resin and fiberglass rather than finding the right piece. This also hits a boundry with working the metal. Instead of adding more and more fiberglass, you just add the sheet metal. Its in the area where you cant just buy it, and is more about skill and execution of the individual.

A lot of that bolt on factory crap for trucks doesn't actually do anything except look tough. Just looking at that pic I'd be surprised if you got more than an inch out of those.

Agreed. Its funny to see a vehicle that is half tupperware. How many people saw the ragged broken up flare on a truck bed? A shard of that hit my car once. You can imagine my state of mind. Ive worked with those a few times. They are junk. Its like ABS plastic.

Thats pretty much how it goes, besides the rice crispies. That is called making a form. If using fiberglass I would start with thin cardboard to make the basic shape. Cover that with masking tape. Resin doesnt stick to masking tape. Lay out the fiberglass and brush on the resin. Adding a couple layers so its thick enough to use a die grinder on with a 3 inch grinding disc. I wouldnt attach the form to the car untill its 95 percent the way I wanted it. My initial cardboard form would be made on the fender though, then removed for working it to perfection. Here is fiberglass to inspire you. AV.jpg Notice the airdam is molded into the fender and the rear quarter is more than an enlarged wheel opening. The bumper is out of adjustment, and the fiberglass is a bit lumpy in spots at the transition points, but all in all its a good job. It wouldnt take much to fix the bad spots but it would require repainting.

Edited by Heroez