HybridZ

Do I need a fuel cell?

I had a friend over today that has lots of experience with race cars. He suggested that I run a fuel cell. I am going to use a Chevy 383, naturally aspirated. I will not be racing this car except maybe a run or two down the 1/4. I was just going to use the stock tank. It's from a fuel injected 280. What would the advantage be to using a fuel cell instead?

In street application on a carb'd car there is small advantage with a lot of work. The only reason the older tanks benefit from a surge tank is so that the pump feeds don't run dry during hard braking or cornering. Since the 280 tank is already set up for fuel injection that will not be an issue.

The biggest issue you will face with the stock tank is the fuel line diameter, but that can be fixed. When you go with a fuel cell you will have to do some custom fabrication on the car to get it mounted correctly. The easy thing with fuel cells is the plumbing as you just pop in whatever size AN fittings you want.

The tank will be in the way if you want to run exhaust on the passenger side.

A single 3-1/2 exhaust system will be easier to run.

But no need to change the tank just because you are using a V8.

I would use the stock 280 efi pump even if you are using a carb. Just regulate down the pressure with a return style Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator down to carb pressure.

Great idea, then I'll get some faux side pipes, a big hood scoop that's non functional, I'll put on lambo doors, and spinner hub caps to really top it off. Lol just kidding. I kind of want the look of dual exhaust exiting on opposite sides, so time to look up fuel cell threads. Thanks for the help :-)

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/65455-fuel-cell-fuel-plumbing-install-w-pics/page__p__613247__hl__%2Bfuel+%2Bcell+%2Bplumbing__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=613247

I copied his design and used a 15gal cell so my dimensions are a little different. I REALLY need to upload some pics to reflect the status of my current build. I haven't updated anything on here in a LONG while.

The only thing I changed was I welded my nuts inside the 1x1 down legs instead of doing like he did and have the bolts welded in them with threads sticking out the bottom. My bolts run up into the down leg itself and all you see when its all bolted up are the bolt heads. I also ran a thicker sheet to cover everything up with too. He used 22ga I believe whereas I used 20ga.

This is the best fuel cell design I've run across which is why I copied it. There's alot to consider when doing this though. Everything he did was well thought out. The support bars running horizontally prevent any excessive frame damage should a rear end incident occur.

I'll update my old thread sometime soon and post it here if I can remember.