HybridZ

High Compression questions

Josh280z

If you use the engine calculator it says a flat top block with an n42 head with 1mm head gasket yields a 9.97 compression ratio. Is that not right?

Well Mack was talking about the MN47, or maxima N47, which is a different head than the Z N47....

Besides, most of the calculators are OFF, which is why Josh originally posted how to CC chambers and calculate compression, as it's much more reliable than a program on the inter webs.

I have Bosch 0280155811 that flow 375cc/min, I am rebuilding an engine with flat top pistons and the P79 high compression head mod. I know I will need MS. It is going to be a daily driver while still also being able to be a weekend cruiser.

My build will consist of:

P79 head compression shave

F54 flat top piston w/block

375cc/min injectors

Megasquirt

Lightened flywheel

MY QUESTIONS:

Will I need the T5 transmission to handle the power, I have 2 NA 5 speed transmissions?

What kind of cam will suit my needs?

Should I switch to an LSD?

Will it idle properly with MS?

Will a return less fuel system cut power to the fuel rail?

Who still makes some good headers for my car?

Should I upgrade the valve springs?

I want to reach the 200+ HP mark, which should be easy with that set up.

I know about the chance the engine has of pinging.

Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Could you please help me with some of my questions.

Redo the compression calculations with the piston sticking up 0.010" out of the block. Because.... That is what the stock setup does. (sticks out of the block).

If you use a mild cam with stock valve springs you don't need to resurface anything. Get the stock cam reground, add some thicker lashpads, and go. Increase duration but keep the lift low and the lobe ramp slow (like a stock cam).

The later the intake valve closes (bigger cam) the eaiser it will be to run high compression with pump gas. That is why I mentioned it.

Pyro, I appreciate your input but this is the way I've decided to go.

If I didn't shave the head, then it would just be stock compression, which is not what I want...

Before anyone says anything, I also know about the beadwork that needs to be done, and have plans in the works for that.

Pyro, you didn't answer any of my recent questions though.

I have Bosch 0280155811 that flow 375cc/min, I am rebuilding an engine with flat top pistons and the P79 high compression head mod. I know I will need MS. It is going to be a daily driver while still also being able to be a weekend cruiser.

My build will consist of:

P79 head compression shave

F54 flat top piston w/block

375cc/min injectors

Megasquirt

Lightened flywheel

MY QUESTIONS:

Will I need the T5 transmission to handle the power, I have 2 NA 5 speed transmissions? Answered

What kind of cam will suit my needs? I'd go with the isky stage 3 cam, or if you want to go crazy go with their .530 lift competition cam.

Should I switch to an LSD? Not unless you're going to be competitive racing. Casual racing and street driving, open diffs are fine.

Will it idle properly with MS? I don't see why not. MS has decent idle controls that will help the cam idle smoothly with much more radical cam than carbs would ever allow.

Will a return less fuel system cut power to the fuel rail? Huh? Come again? What do you mean "cut power"? A return less system relies on a variable voltage signal to the pump to regulate flow.

Who still makes some good headers for my car? MSA ones aren't bad, and if you're going all out just have some made if you don't like the common offerings like theirs.

Should I upgrade the valve springs? Not a bad idea if you're going with a radical cam, but remember that the crank has nasty harmonics between 7-8k that shouldn't be lived in. Having a cam that doesn't "turn on" until 3k can be mighty boring if you're stopping at 7k. That said, many just make sure to pass through those ranges instead of sticking around and have reported years of fail-free service from their cranks.

I want to reach the 200+ HP mark, which should be easy with that set up.

I know about the chance the engine has of pinging.

Is there anything I should be concerned about? At the HP and compression levels you're talking about, ping should NOT be an issue. If it is, then there's something WRONG. I'll even go as far as to say this, if you're running a programmable EFI setup, and running less than 11:1 compression and you're pinging then you need to either figure out what's wrong with your tune, or find out what's wrong with your ignition setup. Too many blown engines have been from faulty ignition parts, not too high of compression like people want to assume. Yes the L motor doesn't like high compression and tends to ping, but there's lots of factors there and having programmable ignition is the first step to solving some of those issues.

Could you please help me with some of my questions.

• 1 month later...