HybridZ

R200 longnose lsd identification/info help needed.

piston

I have an r200 differential with 4.62 ratio was told from a Nissan Exterra(never knew that). I was wondering if anyone can identify the lsd these differentials have? I haven't looked too much into the diff itself but it's dead on r200 longnose material. I open the cover to take a couple of pics. Was not able to find much info on google. Both axle splines turns in the same direction but it looks like no other lsd I seen before. I was hoping to take off the ring and pinion and use my 3.54 in it along with the lsd and hope the z31 axles are a direct fit. Looks like a 29 spline count but I made only one count. I will have to look further unless someone can confirm it fits. I confirmed the ratio and is a 4.625 37 ring and 8 pinion. The 4.62 ratio sounds killer for autocross, drift or maybe even drag racing. So keep an eye out once it's out, may be up for grabs. let me know what you guys know about this differential? Thanks.

SDC16441.jpg

SDC16444.jpg

SDC16445.jpg

SDC16448.jpg

SDC16447.jpg

SDC16446.jpg

SDC16451.jpg

Edited by piston

Cool, Thanks guys. It was given to me so I was curious since I was not able to find much info on Exterra r200 diffs. I will open it up and see whats good besides the gears for some. Also, are the centers fully closed like the above where the spiders are not visible?

We should start a beer fund. Everybody who has bought an "LSD R200" only to get home and find out he was duped must put a dollar in the bucket. We can all get toasted at the national convention with the hundreds of dollars we collect. I have an Open Long nose R200 sold to me as LSD: my cross shaft looks totally different from yours. My real LSD looks like the latest picture posted.

That's what is throwing me off is the cross shaft. I cant see through it like my 3.54 r200 open diff where you can look through the cv splines and see out the other side. This one is huge and I cant see through it because the cross shaft blocks it. It spins in the same direction but I'm guessing its because it has no load on it?

It's a slip over piece on the shaft. Some later open diffs have 4 pinion carriers, where the carrier bolts together and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those had a cross pin that you could see through the middle of. A 2 pinion cross pin is going to be a solid shaft like that one, although most don't have that slip on piece.I gather you're turning the pinion and the side gears are turning the same direction. That's always the case.

The test is to turn one side and watch the other side. If the other side turns in the same direction, then it might be an LSD or it might be an open that's been welded or has some junk in the spiders. Some helicals will spin opposite directions just like an open. So the test isn't 100%, but that is pretty clearly an open diff.

Edited by JMortensen