HybridZ

Parting out 81 280zx

Bluezzs

Hey everyone I hope this is in the right place. I am looking into picking up a 81 280zx this weekend for dirt cheap, and I plan on taking the transmission block and head for my 73 240z. I was really just wondering if their is anything else of value in these cars, or stuff people are always looking for. Or just any other helpful knowledge. Thanks!

It depends whether it was auto or standard. It could be either R180 or R200. I have seen all sorts of combinations but generally an Auto will have the R180 while the standard will have the R200.

Does it have the cables to open the rear windows from the centre console? If so how much do you want for them?

Thanks Greg

Well I don't have the car yet but If I get it I will look and see if they are there and let you know. The car is a manual so it should come with the R-200, but since this is an open diff is it really worth it to replace the R-180 in my 240z? Can anybody else think of other parts that might be worth something. Im just trying to see how much money I could recover in buying and selling the car since I only want the engine and trans.

What color is the interior? I could use some black trim pieces.

You could always part out the heating and a/c stuff (behind dash). If it's in good working order people always seem to be looking for that stuff. You could also sell the headlights and taillights (again if they are in decent enough shape). Fenders, hood, if they are not rusted out.

Just to list a couple of things.

Good luck with the part out and your swap.

You can get a good $200+ in steel recycling alone if you take your time to remove all the glass, plastic and such.

If it has the manual steering rack, keep it + the x-member. Very rare for '81 though.

If you can save the wiper motor without damage to the bushings (more difficult than you might think) I might be interested in it. $20+ shipping? PM me if you want.

The ones I've parted out I end up throwing half of the car away. So many of the little bits just seem worthless to me to try to sell on ebay (like the window switches). These cars are extremely common still so most parts aren't hard to find, just hard to find in good shape. If a part looks shot, it's probably not going to sell very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have restored a 81 recently and the parts becoming pricey these days are the distributor with the e12-80 ign box attached to it. The collectors are also paying higher prices for the AFM if it is clean and working.

You may also want to keep the disk brakes and rotors as they are a nice upgrade for the S30s, and the rack and pinion steering box is much better than recirculating ball. Like everyone else is saying, the gearbox and R200 differential. If it is a 2+2 you may want to consider keeping the 240mm flywheel and just have it lightened to 18 lbs. If the damper and radiator is good condition keep it. The starter is also a nice upgrade for the S30s. I may want the cam if it is still original and not regrinded. The bumper shocks (I actually need one, Rear left!). And if the brake booster and master cylinder is in good condition keep those. And lastly, the safety belts. Some of these items may be worthless to some but gold to others.

• 4 weeks later...